Chocolate Marshmallow Fondue

chocolate marshmallow fondue

Do you fondue?

Our oldest daughter has been wanting a fondue pot for the past few years. She even considered adding it to her Christmas list a year ago, but when it came right down to it, the 9-year-old in her opted to not “waste” a line item on a kitchen gadget. ;)

Well, I finally broke down recently and ordered this one. It’s a very simple pot, smaller in size than most. And because the heat is generated from a tea light, it isn’t capable of heating oil to cook meats and seafood, etc. But it’s exactly what I was looking for, to introduce our family to fondue. We used it first to keep the savory Bagna Cauda dip warm, and now for this irresistible Chocolate Marshmallow Fondue.

It’s true, I love my marshmallows, homemade or from the bag. So when I wanted a chocolate fondue that had a bit more substance to it, that was thicker and would cling better to foods that were dipped into it…yes, I turned to marshmallows.

We’ll be serving this fun and delicious chocolate marshmallow fondue tomorrow, when our daughters host a little Valentine’s Day party. There will be plenty of bright fresh fruit to dip, plus homemade marshmallows and bites of almond pound cake. And the girls will be getting crafty, too, as they make their own salt dough valentine ornaments. I’m forecasting lots of fun and laughter and happy tummies!

(And I just learned something wonderful about this fondue last night, when I was digging through the fridge before bed… Once the fondue is cold…oh my! It’s like a bowl of thick rich truffles. Just grab a spoon and scoop up a bite. Instant truffle. Please don’t tell my family my little secret. Shhhhhh…)

Chocolate Marshmallow Fondue

Yield: about 2 cups

• 12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips (I prefer Guittard brand)
  • 3/4 c. heavy cream
  • 2 c. mini marshmallows
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a medium pan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate and cream together, stirring very regularly, until smooth. Take care to not let it scorch, and turn heat down if it gets too hot. Add marshmallows, and stir until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to fondue pot and enjoy with fresh strawberries, pineapple, and bananas, or whatever fruit strikes your fancy. Marshmallows (especially homemade marshmallows!) and bites of pound cake are wonderful, too.

From a farmgirl's dabbles.

chocolate marshmallow fondue

27 Responses to “Chocolate Marshmallow Fondue”

Amanda — February 8, 2013 at 7:57 am

Such a fun treat! Your girls are lucky ladies. :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 8, 2013 at 8:09 am

Marshmallow fondue is such a great idea. I love this, friend!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — February 8, 2013 at 9:30 am

We DO fondue!! …Usually around the holidays, but you’ve given me a reason to do it again. :)

Kate — February 8, 2013 at 9:57 am

I mentioned this to Griffin and his eyes lit up. We don’t make much of any fuss about Valentine’s Day, but this treat might be on our table that night. Look delicious!

• Brenda replied on February 8th, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I hope Griffin (and you!) like it. And, seriously, grab a spoon of it after it’s been in the fridge. Heaven. :)

Heather @ Heather's Dish — February 8, 2013 at 10:08 am

I LOOOOOOOOVE fondue!!!! Although let’s be honest, I really just need a spoon. That still counts as fondue, right? ;)

• Brenda replied on February 8th, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I’m not arguing one little bit. ;)

Angie — February 8, 2013 at 10:20 am

This would make a perfectly romantic dessert for Valentine’s love it!

Donna — February 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm

We went to the “Melting Pot” restaurant where I was first introduced to foods cooks in a heated pots and I adored the dessert fondue course where we had a dark chocolate fondue with marshmallows, cake bites, and various fruits. Afterward, I too thought about running out and getting a fondue pot–but never did. Now this recipe has brought that urge back and I might be going shopping this weekend after all! :-) Love your fondue recipe Brenda and might just break down and make even if I don’t get that fondue pot! Tee-Hee!!! :-)

Angie @ Big Bear's Wife — February 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I love Fondue! Everytime we’re in Wilmington, we go to the Little Dipper Fondue and it’s just amazing. So simple, but so good. I have two Fondue pots at home that I’ve never even opened, ahh what’s wrong with me. I think I’ll this as an excuse to open them up!

Blair @ TheSeasonedMom — February 8, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I don’t fondue, but I have been thinking about getting a pot. After all, don’t all little kids love to dip their food? Thanks for the idea — maybe I’ll pull the trigger and get one! Sounds like a fun Valentine’s Day dessert!

Paula - bell'alimento — February 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm

can’t go wrong with chocolate fondue!

Jersey Girl Cooks — February 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Great idea to put marshmallows in fondue. I am going to try that next time.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — February 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Oh, my goodness…we must have been thinking along the same lines! I just posted a cheese fondue recipe today. I’m so glad to see fondue making a comeback. It was so popular back in the day and it’s nice that younger cooks are enjoying it all over again.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 8, 2013 at 7:40 pm

This looks so good and I would be right there with you eating it from the fridge!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Fondue is so much fun! I love the idea of adding in the marshmallows!

JulieD — February 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I love fondue and what a cute fondue pot! adding it to my wish list!

Jeanne Callahan — February 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I am making the blue cheese popovers listed elsewhere on this site and found this current posting for fondue. I was given a very nice fondue pot as a wedding gift 7 years ago and I hardly ever use it. I’ve decided I should sell it and buy something else for my kitchen, like the Dutch oven I’ve been wanting. If anyone reading these comments wants to check out my listing on Amazon, here it is. Opportunity is knocking…

I just listed: ‘Bodum 15 Pieces Stainless Steel Fondue Set with Glass Insert Bowl for Che…’, for $40.00 via @amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083U540K/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_syh?m=AN2AWNHM37LRQ

Paula — February 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I’ve only done a fondue once. I really, really should do it more often. Yours looks wonderful.

Becca from Cookie Jar Treats — February 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

mmmm melted chocolatey marshmallow sounds delicious. :)

Mom — February 10, 2013 at 9:33 am

I love chocolate/marshmallow ice cream sundaes, so I know this would hit the spot with me.
    Looks like the party was a hit.:)

Bree {Skinny Mommy} — February 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I adore fondue and this one looks great!

Amanda — February 11, 2013 at 6:47 am

Holy YUM!

Kristen — February 11, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I really need to get a fondue pot – was thinking that would be a fun valentine’s dinner for our kids!

• Brenda replied on February 12th, 2013 at 7:49 am

The kids love it. And us big kids do, too! It’s fun and interactive, and when you have alot of different fruits, it’s also really pretty.

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs — February 12, 2013 at 9:10 pm

What an elegant twist on fondue! Perfect for Valentine’s Day! Yum!

katie — February 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm

gah i love fondue… so much that i hosted a fondue week the week before valentine’s day! ;) love this recipe!