Mom’s Shrimp Dip

Christmas Eve memories are some of the best memories I own. As a kid, our house was filled with energetic cousins, all of whom could also be called friends. Along with our parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, we played games for hours…Spoons, Farkle, marbles, cards…and we filled the house with laughter, our hearts with Christmas joy.

My parents hosted Christmas Eve for many, many years. And Mom’s Shrimp Dip quickly became an annual tradition, right alongside the homemade oyster stew and hand cranked vanilla ice cream.

This dip is one of the easiest you’ll ever put together. And it can be prepared ahead of time, left to rest its merry little self in the refrigerator until your guests arrive. It’s thick and creamy, and full of clean shrimpy flavor. If you, too, make this on Christmas Eve, it’ll be just like we’re celebrating together. You. Me. And Mom’s shrimp dip. Cheers!

Mom’s Shrimp Dip

Yield: almost 2 cups of dip

• 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. mayonnaise
  • 1 4-oz. can tiny cocktail shrimp, drained and rinsed
  • 1/3 c. finely chopped green onion
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper

Set aside a few nice whole shrimp, then chop up the rest. Also set aside a little bit of the chopped green onion.

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and mayonnaise until well blended. Then stir in chopped shrimp, green onion, and garlic salt. Transfer dip to small serving bowl and top with reserved whole shrimp and green onion. Sprinkle a bit of freshly ground black pepper over the top. Serve with crackers and/or veggies. This can be prepared a few hours ahead of time and refrigerated.

From Mom's recipe box.

I’m linking up with:

40 Responses to “Mom’s Shrimp Dip”

Mom — December 19, 2012 at 9:50 am

Have to admit–it is a favorite!

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

And I’m waiting for another bowl on Christmas Eve! ;)

JulieD — December 19, 2012 at 10:39 am

First, I love that your Mom commented, how sweet!! Thanks for sharing your Mom’s dip, I love how easy it is!

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Mom’s a regular around here, Julie. ;)

Paula - bell'alimento — December 19, 2012 at 10:40 am

You can never have too many dip recipes! Ever.

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:11 pm

You speak truth, Paula. ;)

Amanda — December 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

Love this… might have to make it for my mom in Fargo this Christmas!

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Have a very merry Fargo Christmas, Amanda. I’ll be up there, too, for a few days, visiting in-laws.

Angie — December 19, 2012 at 11:25 am

Look so good, perfect appetizer for Christmas!

Diane {Created by Diane} — December 19, 2012 at 11:56 am

looks delicious!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — December 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I love traditions like these…for us it’s always cheese dip on Christmas eve. My husband will love this, though!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — December 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Farkle and shrimp dip – now THAT’S a good Christmas with family :)

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Truly. Farkle is all because of my grandparents, the game-aholics. Love!!

Paula — December 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

This is a dip that my husband would take and disappear in a room by himself with :)

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Truly, this is a dip to covet. It disappears FAST!!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — December 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Yum, what a great easy appetizer!

Kristen — December 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm

What a great recipe, Brenda! Can you use thawed cocktail shrimp too? Would that work?

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:23 pm

You sure could, Kristen. Just so it’s not raw shrimp. There’s just something about those little tiny shrimp in the can, though. ;)

Robyn | Add a Pinch — December 20, 2012 at 8:17 am

I absolutely love shrimp dip and think it is going on our Christmas menu now! Love it! Those Christmas memories are just the best, aren’t they?

• Brenda replied on December 20th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Yay! We’ll be shrimp dippin’ together! Have a very merry Christmas, Robyn. xo

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — December 20, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Yuuum! Shrimp dip! Merry Christmas Brenda!

Sara B — December 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Why can’t I see the recipe? It SOUNDS great!

• Brenda replied on December 20th, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Hi Sara – I’m aware there’s an issue with this recipe and am trying to get it figured out. I will let you know when it’s available again – thanks for your patience!

• Brenda replied on December 22nd, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hello again Sara – I have manually added in the recipe to this post, until I can get the problem resolved. I hope you like it! :)

• Sara B replied on December 22nd, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thank you!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 21, 2012 at 8:07 am

What a perfect decadent snack for the holidays! Merry Chrstmas sweet friend!

Amanda — December 21, 2012 at 9:48 am

This sounds great Brenda! By the way, your printable version isn’t rendering properly. There’s a fix on ZipList for it and an updated version of the PLugin you’ll need to install :)

• Brenda replied on December 22nd, 2012 at 11:53 am

Thank you SO MUCH, Amanda. I’m working on getting this resolved. ;)

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — December 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yum, what a wonderful appetizer! Moms recipes are always the best! Can’t wait to try this one!

Kim — December 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Maybe I am the only one with this issue? But there is no recipe. All I see is a box that says WordPress hRecipe Plugin. Is there something I need to do? Thanks!

• Brenda replied on December 22nd, 2012 at 11:55 am

Hi Kim – I’ve been having issues with my latest recipes since I did a site update a few days ago. In the meantime, I have manually added in the recipe to this post, until I get this resolved. Please come back and take a look – the recipe’s waiting for you! Thank you for your understanding. :)

Kelly G — December 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I am unable to see the recipe either. I would love to try it.

• Brenda replied on December 22nd, 2012 at 11:56 am

Hi Kelly – I’ve been having issues with my latest recipes since I did a site update a few days ago. In the meantime, I have manually added in the recipe to this post, until I get this resolved. Please come back and take a look – the recipe’s waiting for you! Thank you for your understanding.

• Kelly G replied on December 22nd, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thank you Brenda! This looks excellent. I am going to make it this weekend. :)

Michelle Ho — December 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Can I use fresh shrimp?

• Brenda replied on December 27th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Yes, Michelle, you can. Just make sure it’s cooked shrimp.

1. Pingback: Last-Minute Party Dips | Bake Your Day