Candy’s Baked Pork Chops and Stuffing

Dad called last week, and didn’t waste any time getting to his point. He asked me if I had ever thought about sharing Candy’s Baked Pork Chops and Stuffing on a farmgirl’s dabbles, noting that others ought to have that recipe on hand, too, with the holidays coming up.

I told him I couldn’t agree more. Besides, he has never requested a recipe appear on here before…

So here it is!

This recipe comes from my mom’s longtime friend, Candy. Mom remembers eating this for the first time when she went to stay with Candy, who lived a few hours away, just over the border from South Dakota, into Minnesota. My sisters and I were small, and we stayed home with Dad while she was gone. Mom laughs about how things have changed over the years. Back then, Dad took Mom to a nearby bus depot, where she rode the bus a few hours to be with her friend. We are so much more mobile these days, hopping in our cars to drive a few hours to anywhere!

This pork chops and stuffing recipe bakes up super tender and is nothing short of fabulous tasting. And it’s EASY to make. The dish can also be prepared ahead of time, for a beautiful no-fuss main entree for guests, perfect for the upcoming holidays. It was a favorite of mine growing up, and now my own family adores it, too.

The dish is an unexpected winner, as the ingredients list surely does not proclaim any kind of fanciness. I’m talking about cream of mushroom soup here. I use less and less of it as the years go by, always trying to come up with different ways to impart creaminess. But this is one of those recipes that I don’t mess with. It’s just plain perfect.

I hope you like it as much as my family does. And if you do, be sure to come back and thank my dad.  :wink:

Candy’s Baked Pork Chops and Stuffing

Yield: 4 servings

• 4 bone-in pork chops, about 1-1/2 lbs. total weight
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 T. canola oil
  • 4 c. soft bread cubes, about 1/2'' size
  • 2 T. chopped onion
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/4 c. melted butter
  • 1/4 tsp. dried sage
  • 1 10.75-oz. can low sodium cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/3 c. water
  • 1 T. soy sauce
  • freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°.

Sprinkle pork chops lightly with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and brown both sides. Do not cook completely. Transfer browned pork chops to an oven safe baking pan.

In a medium bowl, fold together bread crumbs, onion, butter, 1/4 cup water, and sage. Place a mound of stuffing on each chop. In another medium bowl, blend soup, 1/3 cup water, and soy sauce. Pour over the stuffing. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until pork chops are tender.

This can also be prepared a few hours before baking time. Simply prepare the dish entirely, without baking it. Cover and refrigerate. Take the dish out of the refrigerator about 2 hours before serving time and preheat oven. Baking time may be a bit longer since it was refrigerated, but it also depends on the size of the pork chops, etc.

Adapted just slightly, from the recipe box of Mom's good friend, Candy Moberg.

I’m linking up with:

54 Responses to “Candy’s Baked Pork Chops and Stuffing”

Heather @ Heather's Dish — November 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

pinning these bad boys – i’m always looking for solid pork chop recipes!

• Brenda replied on November 12th, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I hope you like them, Heather!

Sandy @ RE — November 9, 2012 at 9:14 am

I have actually considered pork instead of turkey this year. This sounds fantastic!

Happy weekend, friend!

nest of posies — November 9, 2012 at 9:47 am

i love pork chops! this recipe sounds amazing!

Paula - bell'alimento — November 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

Talk about comfort food! Yum-O!

Karen — November 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I love your blog!

Rose — November 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm

My husband of 50 years loves both porkchops & stuffing. I took the liberty of copying this recipe to have on hand. I believe he will totally love it! Thank you!

cheryl — November 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I am always disappointed when I make pork chops. I don’t think I will be after trying this recipe.

• Brenda replied on November 12th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Waiting to hear what you think!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm

What a sweet story, Brenda! I love sharing recipes like this one. And this stuffing sounds so good. Mouth is watering!

Dad — November 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Just read the post of the pork chop recipe,you took me as I figured you would.This is a real treat.Dad

• Brenda replied on November 12th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

:) Thanks for the great reminder, Dad. xo

Cookin' Canuck — November 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I’m so glad that your dad requested that you share this recipe. It looks like the ultimate comfort dish on a chilly evening. And recipes always taste so much better when there’s a special story to go with them.

Linda — November 9, 2012 at 5:48 pm

thnx for this wonderful recipe and since hubby had already taken pork chops out of the freezer for tonite I decided to try them! I didn’t get the right bread cubes though I don’t think as we had the hard ones from pepperidge farms and so I actually couldn’t make the little mounds and instead added a bit extra water (about 1/2 cup) in hopes they would soften up and it doesn’t say whether to cover the dish or not but I was afraid mine would be too dry, so I did cover them and despite not looking as pretty as your picture they were quite tasty and I will have to try them again! could you use bread crumbs instead? or just some toasted bread?? not sure our local store carries soft ones! anyway thnx!

• Brenda replied on November 12th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Hello Linda – I do not cover the dish. As far as the bread cubes…I simply cut soft bread into cubes with a serrated bread knife. I hope you give this another try!! :)

• Linda replied on November 12th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Brenda SO much that helps a bunch and yes we really enjoyed it and I know we will like it better with the soft bread instead!!! Have a great day !!!

BRee — November 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Looks like a great down home dish!

Stephanie — November 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

Does this really take 1 1/2 hours to bake? It looks good though, so I’m gonna try it!

• Brenda replied on November 12th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Yes, not a typo. :) It gets nice and tender.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — November 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Wow these look amazing, I can’t wait to try them!

Sommer@ASP — November 12, 2012 at 8:22 am

Love this. Total pork heaven!! :)

Leah @ Whitefoot Blog — November 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Looks fantastic! I loooove pork chops :) Thanks for sharing!

Diane (createdbydiane) — November 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

looks so wonderfully delicious….will be making this soon :)

Aggie — November 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm

My in laws love pork chops, I don’t make them enough. I think my husband and his parents would seriously love this…I love that your dad called you with this one! Family (and family friend) recipes are the absolute best!

Online RSA — November 13, 2012 at 11:10 pm

hmm..Looks yummy! I love pork.

Rachel @ Bakerita — November 14, 2012 at 11:43 am

Totally pinning! These look ridiculously yummy – can’t wait to try!

Kathy F. — November 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I am planning to try this on the weekend! I live in South Dakota and this sounds like one my husband & I would both like!! Thanks you for sharing!

Kathy F. — November 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

I did make this recipe on the weekend however didn’t use low sodium soup and Ibelieve this is a MUST as mine was on the salty side but otherwise ver good and will make again:)

• Brenda replied on November 26th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I always use low sodium soups, as I think they are all too salty. Then I can just add the salt myself, to my own liking…in this case, the soy sauce. I hope you give it another try!

katie — November 20, 2012 at 8:20 am

This looks fabulous. I’m always looking for new pork chop recipes.

Andrew — November 20, 2012 at 11:18 am

These look amazing, I’m making them tonight! I see some grilled zucchini, any other suggestions for a side?

• Andrew replied on November 20th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Just finished dinner and they were delicious…what an easy recipe! Please thank your dad!

• Brenda replied on November 26th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Thanks for coming back to let me know, Andrew. I forwarded your comment to Dad. ;)

• Brenda replied on November 26th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I usually do something green – beans, peas, broccoli, zucchini, etc.

Ellen — November 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Do you cover these chops while they are baking (with foil)?

• Brenda replied on November 26th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi Ellen – no covering.

Kim C. — November 26, 2012 at 7:37 am

Brenda,
    I loved this recipe. I was a little afraid of improvising with the bread cubes, but all I had was some sourdough bread. As I was pulling the dish out of the oven I caught a whiff of what i thought was a wine like smell and then realized it was the bread I used. I now wonder if what I first thought was a negative, turned out to be a real positive. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

• Brenda replied on November 26th, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I’ve considered trying sourdough for this recipe, so thanks for the info, Kim!!

Danae — December 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Brenda-
    These look awesome! I came to your site today for the Bacon Cheeseburger Soup, and will be adding these to our menu this week. We buy a whole pig every year, so a new recipe for pork chops is always appreciated. I am writing to say that I think it is awesome that your Dad requested a recipe – how sweet! I also want to let you know that your narrative about your Mom traveling “across the border to MN” reminded me of the famous writings of another one-time SD resident – Laura Ingalls Wilder.

• Brenda replied on December 6th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

So lovely to hear from you again, Danae – you made me smile. I hope you liked these recipes. And hoping your Christmas season is off to a very merry start!

Terri A. — December 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Made these tonight to rave reviews. I’ll be making these often. Thanks!

• Brenda replied on December 19th, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I am SO GLAD you liked these, Terri! Thank you for coming back to let me know. :)

Josie — January 30, 2013 at 11:13 am

I am so making these tonight, I can hardly wait to get home. I am so glad I discovered your website, really good recipes on here.

sharonjo — February 6, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I made a double batch of these baked pork chops for dinner this evening. I followed your recipe exactly, other than substituting chicken broth for the water. It was very easy and delicious–a great recipe!

• Brenda replied on February 7th, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’m so glad you liked this dish, too! Thanks for coming back to let me know! :)

Janet — March 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Yum! Please tell your Dad thank you! This will go into my rotation for sure!

• Brenda replied on March 19th, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Thanks, Janet! :)

Lauren — December 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I forgot to comment after making these the first time. I am making for the second time tonight because we loved them the first time around! We try not to do too many dishes with “cream of…” soup but we break the rules for some dishes : ) Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

• Brenda replied on December 12th, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I totally hear you, Lauren. Cans of cream soup are not a regular pantry item here, either. But I LOVE this recipe, and won’t make it any other way. So happy to know you’re enjoying this dish!!

Joan — September 22, 2014 at 1:55 pm

This dish was just fabulous! I made these for my hubby because he likes pork chops. Actually, he’ll eat anything if it has enough gravy on it! ;) I’m not crazy about pork but, even I devoured this up. It’s delicious and is in my meal rotation, especially with the New England cold weather coming soon! Thanks so much for a great recipe!

• Brenda replied on September 22nd, 2014 at 7:30 pm

This is one of my very favorite comfort dishes. I am SO HAPPY you like it!! Thanks for coming back to let me know, I appreciate it. :)

Lynn C — September 26, 2014 at 5:57 pm

This is my new favorite recipe – I did add a chopped up apple to the stuffing. Thanks so much!!!!

• Brenda replied on October 1st, 2014 at 12:09 pm

LOVE that idea – can’t wait to try that, too! Thanks for letting me know! :)

1. Pingback: Stuffed Pork Chops | Real Mom Kitchen