Fudgy S’more Brownies with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue

Every single person in our family can’t pass up a homemade s’more by the fire. But it’s our oldest daughter who actually lives for them. She’s the first one digging for the jumbo marshmallows and Hershey bars when a fire is lit when camping with extended family each summer. And when Blake fires up the charcoal grill in the back yard, we know what will be Hatti’s request for dessert. Yes, s’mores.

It took all the patience Hatti could muster to leave me alone to take pictures of these Fudgy S’more Brownies with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue. She and Tessa had a girlfriend over to play for the afternoon, and they kept “checking in on my progress”. {AKA…”seeing if I was finally done so they could eat them!”} I had to laugh when our young friend solemnly confessed, after wiping the meringue from the sides of her mouth with the back of her hand, “I sure don’t get anything like this at my house”.

Ahhhh…these are so fun. A dark, chewy, fudgy brownie base, topped with a glossy chocolate ganache. And then a big ol’ swirl of light and fluffy marshmallow meringue, toasted per campfire specs. You just can’t help but smile.

Fudgy S’more Brownies with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue

Yield: 15 brownies

for the brownies:
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, diced
  • 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1-1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • for the chocolate glaze:
  • 1/4 c. heavy cream
  • 1 T. light corn syrup
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like Guittard brand.)
  • for the marshmallow meringue:
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 c. sugar
  • a large pinch of cream of tartar
  • to finish:
  • graham crackers, broken into irregular pieces

for the brownies:

Preheat oven to 325°. Fold a long piece of heavy foil into a 13" wide strip and fit it inside a 9"x13" metal baking pan, leaving foil overhang on the 2 long sides. Spray the foil with nonstick spray.

Stir the butter and chocolate in a large heavy saucepan over very low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar, and then the eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in espresso powder, vanilla, and salt. Then sift the flour over the chocolate mixture and stir to blend well. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake brownies until slightly puffed and dry-looking and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter attached, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack.

Run a knife around the inside edge of the brownie pan. Use the overhanging foil as an aid and gently lift the brownies from the pan. The pan I used produces a brownie that is 1/2" thick. Be sure your cookie cutter is taller than 1/2". Press round biscuit cutter (mine was 2-1/4'' in diameter) firmly into the cooled brownie. Use a thin metal spatula to lift the cookie cutter filled with brownie from the foil. Gently press the brownie out of the biscuit cutter. Repeat the cutting process until your brownie looks like a big piece of swiss cheese.

for the chocolate glaze:

Place all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Cool for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the glaze is thickened, but still pourable. Stir until completely smooth, then drop a large teaspoonful onto the center of a brownie round, and spread it out to the edges. Repeat until all brownie rounds are glazed. Let set while preparing the marshmallow meringue.

for the marshmallow meringue:

In a medium heat-proof bowl (if you have a stand mixer, use that bowl), combine the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water (or use a double boiler), making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Whisk ingredients until sugar is dissolved and egg whites are warmed to 145°. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and place on stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, start beating on low until the mixture thickens just a bit. Then turn speed up to high until stiff, glossy peaks form. This should take about 10 minutes. Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip (I used Ateco #808) and swirl onto the glazed brownie rounds. Use a kitchen torch to gently toast the meringue. Finish by inserting a broken piece of graham cracker into the meringue.

These keep very well refrigerated for a day or two.

Marshmallow meringue adapted from The Italian Dish.

We lit our first s’more-making-fire in our new fire pit last night. After living in our late 60′s home for 8 years now, we really haven’t put much into our yard beyond a few bushes, alot of perennials (many transplanted from the farm in SD and my sister Jessica’s house), and many hours of necessary un-glorious maintenance labor.

Like most people, we have a running project wish list. This is the year we finally decided to bite off a little chunk outdoors, to deal with a couple areas that have caused us nothing but grief since we first moved in. And we threw in some fun, too, with a back yard fire pit patio – which was a double blessing, as it eliminated a big perennial area that I just don’t have the time to keep up with any more!

I love to dig in the dirt, plant and transplant, etc. But what we wanted to achieve required more than what Blake and I were physically capable of. So we hired Buell’s Landscape Center to help us out. We just can’t say enough about Greg Buell and his crew. They were great to work with, and we’re so thankful they helped us cross off a few items on our outdoor project wish list. We highly recommend them. Without their help, we couldn’t have enjoyed last evening around our fire, spinning our marshmallows to toasty perfection. I’m looking forward to many more years of s’more making memories around our fire.

33 Responses to “Fudgy S’more Brownies with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue”

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes — September 14, 2012 at 9:48 am

Love these! So creative!!

Erin — September 14, 2012 at 9:55 am

Those are too cute

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — September 14, 2012 at 10:39 am

Luscious brownies, I love the toasted meringue topping!

Anna @ hiddenponies — September 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

These are fabulous, I love that they almost look like cupcakes!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — September 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

These look totally incredible!! I love anything with s’mores flavors, and these are just so beautiful!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — September 14, 2012 at 11:07 am

Oh boy…these look insanely delicious!

Calli — September 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I loved reading your post. Your daughter Hatti and my daughter Lily could be good friends. Lily loves S’mores better than any treat on earth. I have so many fond memories of our family gathered round a campfire making S’more. I can’t wait to make your S’more brownie twist for her.

cassie — September 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I adore the marshmallow meringue! And your fire pit looks incredible Wish I could join you! :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — September 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I am the same way when it comes to s’mores! If there is an opportunity to make them, I don’t pass it up! :) I love how you made these brownies with a toasted marshmallow meringue!

Donna — September 14, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You did it again Brenda! I love your pretty baked goods! You are very creative and these are adorable. What did you do with the brownie scraps? I bet they did not go into the garbage! :-)

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — September 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

My daughter is lukewarm about chocolate but she LOVES marshmallows. When we make s’mores, she’s the most likely to just eat a toasted marshmallow and leave the rest. I’m not sure we’re even related! These cupcakes are gorgeous. I really need to try this marshmallow frosting.

Shiloh — September 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Those look delicious, but my first thought was, “look at all that wasted brownie!?!”

natalie — September 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm

we don’t get much like this at our house either! :( they look AMAZING

i’m so jealous of your fire pit……. we don’t have enough of a back yard to make one, but i still beg and beg to put one in (pretty sure we would end up catching the house on fire if we did, by “we” i mean “i”… i would end up catching the house on fire…)

@Shiloh – you could save the leftover brownie in the freezer to use for ice cream add-ins…. or just eat them as is! i mean, ya know… for quality control.

Becca-cookie jar treats — September 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm

These are so cute :) when I make s’mores I love setting the marshmallow in fire. It’s sad how s’more season will soon be over :(

Paula — September 15, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Just when I thought I couldn’t possibly see anymore creative S’mores treats on the web, you come up with these little beauties! Thank You!

Lynna — September 15, 2012 at 8:25 pm

These look so adorable and delicious!

nest of posies — September 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm

brenda, these look divine! i love smores!

Mercedes — September 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

Wow, these look like S’mores heaven! I would love one of these around the campfire!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm

These are ridiculously cute! I’d eat way too many of them myself

Living The Sweet Life — September 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Delicious! These sound incredibly and unbelievably delicious <3

Lisa | With Style and Grace — September 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

Oh YUM!! Brownies AND marshmallow meringue, SOLD!!

Peggy — September 19, 2012 at 11:20 am

These are too cute! My child of a husband would love these =)

Vera Zecevic – Cupcakes Garden — September 24, 2012 at 2:43 am

Yummy ! This looks so delicious! And you did great decoration job! Perfect!!!

Aly — September 25, 2012 at 2:47 am

Perfect swirl and amount of toasting–I’m still learning to use my kitchen torch properly :)

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks — September 25, 2012 at 11:55 am

These look like the perfect s’mores treat!

Kathy - Panini Happy — September 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm

These are so gorgeous! I’ve had my kitchen torch for going on 7 years and I still haven’t mustered up the courage to use it. Obviously need to change that soon!

• Brenda replied on September 30th, 2012 at 9:22 pm

You MUST get that torch out and use it, girl!! It’s alotta fun!! :)

Julia — September 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Those look delicious! I am yet to learn how to make those beautiful swirls you have on top of your brownies.

micupoftea — July 3, 2013 at 2:49 am

Wow! Love it! Thank you for the recipe and great pics. My daughter and I are going to make these :)
    Happy 4th of July :)

Pim — February 12, 2014 at 9:18 pm

There’re beautiful, I’m gonna make some for myself soon:-)

• Brenda replied on February 15th, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Thank you, Pim! Hope you like these!

1. Pingback: fudgy s’mores brownies with toasted marshmallow meringue. | Cooking Pics

2. Pingback: Baked Alaska Cupcakes | eASYbAKED