Mom’s Sweet Refrigerator Dill Pickles

A couple weeks ago, my family – to include both my sisters and their husbands and kids – rendezvoused at my parents’ home in South Dakota. It’s amazing how difficult it is these days to find a weekend that works for everyone, but we did it. For a few short days, we stepped away from routine to enjoy time together playing games, taking walks, swimming, catching fish, and just plain catching up.

And, oh yeh…eating.

Dad and Mom left no plate unturned, filling us up like only going home can do. And it was during this visit that I was reminded of, and treated to, Mom’s Sweet Refrigerator Dill Pickles. How could I have possibly forgotten about these crunchy summer bites that I grew up with?!

Well, I’m not ashamed to say that I ate more than my fair share of Mom’s pickles. I spooned that tangy goodness onto my plate as if it were a salad. And then I proceeded to go back for seconds!

So, of course, I got a copy of the recipe and had to make a couple batches of pickles once we got back home. They’re quick, easy, and so very good. A perfect way to preserve all those fresh end-of-summer garden cucumbers. This recipe will not be forgotten about in this house again!

Mom’s Sweet Refrigerator Dill Pickles

Yield: about 2 quarts

• 7 c. thinly sliced cucumbers
  • 1 c. thinly sliced onions, cut into 1'' lengths
  • 1 c. diced green bell pepper
  • 1 T. pickling salt
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. white vinegar
  • 1 T. celery seed
  • big sprig of fresh dill

Combine cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, and pickling salt in large heat-proof bowl, preferably one with a lid. Stir and let sit on the counter for 1 hour. Drain.

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the sugar, vinegar, and celery seed. Stir occasionally. When the sugar has completely melted, pour the hot mixture over the cucumbers. Add the dill. After the cucumbers cool to room temperature, put a lid on the bowl and refrigerate for 2 days before eating. Eat straight from the bowl, or transfer to jars if desired. You could also transfer the room temperature mixture to jars before refrigerating for 2 days. Pickles keep very well for a few weeks.

From Mom's recipe box.

I’m linking up with:

29 Responses to “Mom’s Sweet Refrigerator Dill Pickles”

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — August 22, 2012 at 8:36 am

These look yummy and oh so easy! Thank you for sharing your mom’s recipe. Think I’ll have to make some :)

• Brenda replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 10:46 am

So nice to hear from you, Renee! They’re such a treat – hope you give them a try!

Robin — August 22, 2012 at 9:40 am

Just made these.
    Fabulous! If the pickles taste as good as the brine they will be the best pickles EVER. Not sure if I can wait 2 days to open the jar.

• Brenda replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 10:49 am

Love, love, LOVE!! You don’t waste any time!! Honestly, I can’t wait the full 2 days – have to steal a nibble here and there. But the flavor does deepen when you wait. Thank you so much for your comment, Robin – hope you’re having a great week.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 22, 2012 at 10:45 am

These look so good, I love the dill!

• Brenda replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thanks, Laura! :)

Amanda — August 22, 2012 at 10:58 am

My hubby would go nuts for these… they look just perfect!

• Brenda replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 8:47 pm

They’re the perfect quick answer to having lots of cukes!! Let me know if you guys give them a try! :)

Donna — August 22, 2012 at 11:43 am

Not a sweet pickle lover, but loved reading your story that leads up to your Mom’s recipe that I bet any any sweet pickle lover would like to have! I am glad you enjoyed time with your family back home! Good times and great memories were made there I am sure. :-)

• Brenda replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 8:49 pm

It’s funny how a person forgets about things. And then one taste brings it all back. :)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — August 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Mmmm, there is just nothing quite like homemade pickles!

• Brenda replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 8:49 pm

You are SO right. :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Yum! I love homemade refrigerator pickles!

Kate — August 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm

love the pickles. they look delicious!

Judit & Corina @WineDineDaily — August 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

These look just as delicious as our recipe from Germany, only easier to make :)

Jessica — August 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Do these need to be processed by canning or can I just keep them in the fridge? I was kind of confused about the timing. We wait 2 days and then we can eat them? I’m sorry for the questions. I’ve never canned or made pickles because I’ve been afriad of doing it wrong and making my family sick.

• Brenda replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Hi Jessica! No processing/canning needed for this recipe. “Refrigerator” pickles just sit in a brine in the refrigerator – super easy! Whereas processed/canned pickles could sit in the pantry for many months, these refrigerator pickles must be kept in the refrigerator and eaten within a few weeks. If you like sweet pickles, this would be a great recipe to get you started with pickling. Very low time commitment, very low pressure.

• Jessica replied on August 23rd, 2012 at 8:52 am

Thanks for the enouragement! Can’t wait to make these this weekend.

Julia {The Roasted Root} — August 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

There is nothing better than spending quality time with family and you’re right, it can be so difficult to get the whole gang together with work and distances, so quality family time should be cherished. I’ve been meaning to make pickles all summer and haven’t gotten to it yet – I’ve never made them before and am excited to learn how. Dill are definitely my favorite so your mom’s recipe sounds perfect to me! I’ll let you know if I give it a shot!

Good Food Good Friends — August 24, 2012 at 7:00 am

I’m going to have to make these. One of my girls loves dill pickles and I can’t stand the soggy ones you buy in the grocery stores.

Maria — August 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

I’ve never made pickles! Got to try these!

TidyMom — August 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

I’m dying to make pickles! My grandma always made them when I was growing up!

Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2012/12-make-at-home-projects/

Have a fabulous rest of the weekend!

andrew — September 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm

wat if i want to make just 1 jar? what would be the ratios then?

Vaughn — September 14, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say
    that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

Stephanie M — September 15, 2012 at 7:23 pm

just made these…blimey….they are yummy…two days is a long time to wait…

cheryl — September 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

These are my favorite pickles EVER!!!! When Mom puts these on the table I eat mostly these and leave everything else. They are deelish!

1. Pingback: 12 Easy Make at Home Projects | TidyMom