Raspberry Sorbet

We have 2 freezer bowls for our ice cream maker, and they’ve been in constant rotation the past few weeks, churning out refreshing coolness in many different flavors. A couple batches of peanut butter ice cream disappeared lickety-split at a gathering last week to celebrate the 4th of July, and the chocolate malt banana ice cream didn’t live to see 72 hours of our freezer interior. With our temperature hitting triple digits two times last week, we’ve had the perfect weather for cold treats, for sure!

And with our raspberries still producing like there’s no tomorrow…

I made Raspberry Sorbet.

It’s gorgeously ruby red and gem-like, colored only from Mother Nature’s personal berry palette. Sweet and icy, and flecked with a touch of whole berries, it’s just the perfect little scoop of refreshment after a summer meal from the grill.

Raspberry Sorbet

Yield: about 5 cups

• 2 c. water
  • 1-1/2 c. sugar
  • 1-1/4 lbs. fresh raspberries
  • 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice

In a medium saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low and simmer, without stirring, for 5 minutes. This will create a slightly thickened syrup. Pour the syrup into a medium bowl and transfer to the freezer to let chill for 15 minutes.

Using a blender or food processer, puree 1 pound of the raspberries with the syrup until smooth. Scrape the puree through a fine sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth. Discard the seeds.Stir the lemon juice into the raspberry puree and freeze in an ice cream maker until almost set, but still a bit slushy. This should take about 25 minutes. Add remaining whole raspberries and continue freezing in the ice cream maker for an additional 5 minutes. Transfer the sorbet to a freezer safe container and freeze until completely set. A solid set can take a couple hours or more. When the sorbet is frozen solidly, it helps to let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before scooping.

Adapted from Saveur.

I’m linking up with:

42 Responses to “Raspberry Sorbet”

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos — July 11, 2012 at 7:08 am

This is gorgeous! Makes me want to run up the road and pick some raspberries right away!

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thank you, Becca!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — July 11, 2012 at 8:14 am

This looks like pure, wonderful, delicious summer perfection in a bowl.

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:05 am

It is just that! :) Thanks, Natalie – have a great weekend!

Becca - Cookie Jar Treats — July 11, 2012 at 8:31 am

Wow that sorbet is really red! I love it It makes me want to go out and buy an ice cream maker :)

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:08 am

Isn’t it gorgeous?! :) Thanks, Becca!

Roselyn D — July 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

What a lovely recipe! I made a rhubarb sorbet last week it was delish as well. I will be making this one this week sometime too. Love having an ice cream maker!!!!!

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:17 am

Thank you, Roselyn. Rhubarb sorbet…sounds tart and delicious!!

Grandmereb Lovestobake — July 11, 2012 at 11:45 am

Like Becca, makes me want to go out and buy an ice cream maker. We used to have one, but it rusted out and had to be thrown away. Anyway, your Raspberry Sorbet looks soooo good! :-)

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thank you so much. I remember wondering, when I bought the ice cream maker 10+ years ago, if it would just end up collecting dust. But, no! It is so fun, and can be as easy or complicated as you want. We use it ALOT during the summer!

Mercedes — July 11, 2012 at 11:51 am

Wow, Brenda, you are the frozen treats master! Your sorbet looks so perfect! I still have my ice cream maker bowl in the freezer and have not used it yet! Thanks for continuing to inspire me though!

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:20 am

Thanks, Mercedes. :) Have a great weekend!

Paula — July 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Your desserts are always wonderful and your photographs always so beautiful.

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Thank you, Paula. Have a great weekend! xo

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I love raspberries and sorbet, this looks so refreshing!

Annie @ Annie's Noms — July 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm

This just makes me want an ice cream maker even more!!! I love raspberries and sorbets! This looks delightful. I think I’m going to sell all my clothes and buy an ice cream maker instead, I won’t need them if I have an ice cream maker as I’ll be home making ice cream all the time! :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Raspberry sorbet sounds so dreamy to me right now! In triple digit heat, sorbet is pretty much the only thing I’d want to consume….in massive quantities. Gorgeous photos and yummy treat!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I hate to point out the obvious, but I LOVE the bright colour of this! It simply screams summer!

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:23 am

That color is hard to beat! :) Thanks, Katrina.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm

This is beautiful! I love sorbet!

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:28 am

Thank you, Jessica! :)

Noble Pig - Cathy — July 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I also have two ice cream bowls…they are a must in the summer. This sorbet is gorgeous and raspberry is my favorite flavor.

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:27 am

Thank you so much, Cathy. And cheers to a deliciously chilled summer! :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Next to orange… THIS is my favorite sorbet and sherbet flavor. Tart perfection.

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:29 am

Now you have me thinking…I haven’t done anything orange in my ice cream maker yet!! ;)

Lynna — July 12, 2012 at 12:59 am

The sorbet looks beautiful! I`m loving the vibrant color. Since i loveee sorbet, you can bet that i`ll make this!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Absolutely stunning! I haven’t made sorbet yet but I will definitely give it a try! My ice cream maker is starting to collect a lot of dust lately.

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:31 am

IT’S TIME to dust off the ice cream maker!!! ;)

yumgoggle — July 13, 2012 at 2:43 am

The color is so vibrant…This will really beat the summer heat. I am “in” for more cool desserts too. Our ice cream maker is never off the clock. Sometimes, the sound I hear coming from it is telling me to let the poor thing rest, after all the cool treats it has given the household. LOL! I lov to try this sorbet really soon!
    On a different note Brenda, MyFudo is getting a new look, we are moving to a new domain http://www.yumgoggle.com, (previously myfudo.com) this has been a project we have been working on for almost a year now. We just launched our new gallery submission site, and we are just thrilled. Unique and interesting bloggers like you will make the Yumgoggle gallery more fun and exciting. Allow us to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers & food photographers out there! Please sign up and check us out (it’s free) http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery
    We look forward to seeing your wonderful pictures, as always.

p.s. We are hosting a Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway to celebrate our new Yumgoggle site, coming soon in our launch post, we hope you’ll participate =)

tanya — July 13, 2012 at 7:08 am

This bowl of sorbet looks stunning! Vibrant and fresh! I love sorbet, but never make it. Raspberries have tasted so sweet and delicious lately, I think I will pick some up and make sorbet. Thanks for the recipe!

• Brenda replied on July 13th, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thank you, Tanya. I just love the bright color and flavor. It makes for a “wow” summer dessert, for sure!

• Brenda replied on July 14th, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Sorbet is such a refreshing treat, I’ll definitely be making more. Which flavor next?! :)

Jen @ Savory Simple — July 13, 2012 at 7:32 am

The color of this sorbet is just spectacular!

Anne — July 14, 2012 at 3:00 am

Raspberry sorbet is one of my favorites, and perfect for a hot day. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe :)

// Anne – lesquatresaisonsblog.blogspot.dk

Denise @ TLT — July 14, 2012 at 7:24 am

What a gorgeous red colour! Love it: instant summer feeling (even with the pouring rain here in Amsterdam!)

• Brenda replied on July 14th, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Thank you, Denise – lovely to hear from you! :)

KLFood Blog — July 14, 2012 at 8:26 am

really amazing colours and raspberries are one of my favourutes, waiting for the summer here))

Lisa | With Style and Grace — July 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

beautiful, love the color of this!

1. Pingback: zlukrem's soup