Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars

Every once in awhile, I threaten (myself!) to just chuck out all the loose recipes I have stashed away to try “some day”. Keeping them organized is a pain. And nobody pays me any attention any more as I’m sifting through the pile, frustrated and mumbling under my breath, unable to find a recipe I know I saved. (whine…)

But then…I wouldn’t be able to enjoy and share some pretty wonderful recipes that have caught my eye over the years. Like these Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars that I first saw (3 years ago) in that little magazine of Martha’s called Everyday Food.

I think strawberries are just the perfect rhubarb partner, and can’t let spring go by without making Rhubarb-Berry Crumbles and Old-Fashioned Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, two desserts that I often get recipe requests for. And now I’m so happy to add these beautiful bars to my list of spring must-makes. Our daughters absolutely loved them! I even heard whining when they realized the bars had all disappeared…

Print Print Recipe

• 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 3/4 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1-1/2 c. powdered sugar, plus more for dusting finished bars
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 9'' square baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2'' overhang on 2 sides. Butter and flour parchment paper and pan, tapping out the excess flour. Set aside.

for the streusel:

Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix with a fork until large crumbs form. Refrigerate until ready to use.

for the bars:

In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of the flour. In another medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1-1/4 cup of flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. With mixer on low, beat in vanilla, then flour mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan. Top with rhubarb and strawberry mixture, then top with prepared streusel. If you like to have some of the pretty red of the rhubarb and strawberries show on top (I do!), poke a few pieces up through the streusel.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a bit of moist crumbs attached, about 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and, using the parchment paper overhang, lift cake from pan. Cut into bars and dust with powdered sugar. Serve as is, or with some freshly whipped and sweetened cream...so lovely!

Heavily adapted from Everyday Food magazine, May 2009.

Hungry for more rhubarb recipes?
Check out a couple very special family recipes:
Grandma Renelt’s Rhubarb Custard Pie
Loree’s Rhubarb Nut Coffee Cake

72 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars”

Living The Sweet Life — April 17, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I love everything about this cake – – the sponge like base, the burst of colour and then the sweet tender crumbs… Im having sweet fantasies just thinking about it ;) delicious!!

• Brenda replied on April 17th, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Thank you! :)

Laurie Jesch-Kulseth @ Relishing It — April 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I’m SUCH a sucker for rhubarb! I can’t wait to get my hands on some this season! These look absolutely delicious. :)

• Brenda replied on April 17th, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Hi Laurie! It took me many years to appreciate rhubarb. I always thought Mom (I know she’ll be reading this comment…) was crazy when I was kid, for her love of it. Now I find myself checking on the rhubarb plant, waiting for it to be ready to use! Do you have a plant? If not, if our paths cross this spring, I’d love to give you some!

Kare at Kitchen Treaty & The Hazel Bloom — April 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I love, love, love rhubarb! Oftentimes I think strawberries just take away from the rhubarb (again, I love rhubarb) but these bars look positively scrumptious.

• Brenda replied on April 17th, 2012 at 8:55 pm

These bars can be made sans strawberries, too. Just double the rhubarb!

Amanda KP — April 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

where did u find the rhubarb??? lovely post!

• Brenda replied on April 17th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Hi Amanda! I broke down and bought some…have never bought rhubarb before! Over the past week, though, my plant has really stretched out, with a few stalks over 6″ long already. If I think we’ll bump into each other this spring, I could surely bring you some. I bet you preserve it?!

• Amanda KP replied on April 19th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Oh my gosh, if you had extra I would love some! I love to preserve it – I have a rhubarb salsa and a rhubarb strawberry mint jam that i make that i would definitely swap with you!

Cassie — April 17, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I love crumb bars, Brenda, anything that has streusel topping just calls my name. These look fabulous!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm

What gorgeous looking crumb bars. I also have a huge list of recipes that I hope try out some day which are all lined up in an excel sheet, but it’s slowly being transferred to Pinterest – makes life so much easier!

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 10:58 am

Thank you, Chung-Ah! I like your idea of using Pinterest!

Maria — April 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I just made a similar bar. We have four rhubarb plants so I am always trying new rhubarb recipes!

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:00 am

Wow, that’s ALOT of rhubarb! :)

Becca - Cookie Jar Treats — April 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I’ve never had rhubarb before, but these bars look absolutely amazing. The cake part looks so buttery and moist. The strawberries and rhubarb contast so perfectly against that yellow cake layer. It looks like spring :)

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:02 am

If you like tart, rhubarb is it! Sweet strawberries are the perfect partner.

Diane {Created by Diane} — April 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm

oh these look great, I just love the colors and that YUMMY crumb topping!

Kathryn — April 18, 2012 at 3:01 am

Strawberries and rhubarb are such a great combination and I can’t stop thinking about that crumb topping!

Debbie — April 18, 2012 at 5:30 am

If those bars taste half as good as they look……oh man I can’t wait to make this recipe. It is 7:29 am and seeing this post woke me up more than my coffee! Thanks!

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thank YOU!! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 18, 2012 at 5:55 am

I love adding rhubarb to bars like this! Yum!

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf — April 18, 2012 at 6:22 am

Brenda, these are absolutely beautiful. I’ve never been a big rhubarb fan, but with strawberries I know I could do it, and I haven’t gone near rhubarb in years. It’s time to begin anew! I can’t get over how gorgeous these are and I know they taste just as good! Evernoted!! (My mom will love me if I surprise her with these next weekend!)

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:05 am

Rhubarb and strawberries are a delicious – and very pretty – combo. You can do it…you can do it…you can do it!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — April 18, 2012 at 6:27 am

These bars look fantastic and beautiful, too. I am totally adding them to my “must try list”. :)

Amanda — April 18, 2012 at 7:41 am

This is gorgeous girl!!! I love to see your blog exploding… I am seeing your stuff everywhere! It is AWESOME that you are getting the recognition you deserve… your talent is unequaled! :)

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:05 am

Hello my dear friend, thank you so much!

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes — April 18, 2012 at 9:12 am

These look fantastic. I never thought to put rhubarb in my crumb bars before. I love crumb bars, so I’ll be trying these out soon!

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thank you, hope you like them, too!

MommaMary — April 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

Have you ever tried scanning the loose recipes and saving to a “cookbook” on your computer. It’s not real pretty, but better than a pile of clippings on your desk. I usually save them with the first word as the section of cookbook you want it to go under: such as: PORK, COOKIE, etc then adding the name of the recipe. It helps keep them sorted.

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:14 am

I like that idea. I might have to hire my daughters for some PT summer help, though!! :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Good thing you didn’t throw out the recipe! Your crumb bars look great. I have never baked with rhubarb but am determined to do so soon. Anything with a streusel topping is very appealing to me and I’d love to enjoy a square with coffee!

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Excellent with coffee!! :)

Harriet — April 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Oh god these look absolutley amazing!!!!!! My Nan always used to make rubharb crumble so it reminds me of those days. This will be one for the weekend!

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Let me know what you think, Harriet!

• Harriet replied on April 19th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I went to the supermarket today and there was no rubharb! Do you think these would work with apples or pears instead?

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — April 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Wow, these look so pretty! I absolutely love the crumb topping!

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:18 am

Thank you, Jen!

Vicki Bensinger — April 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ve never made a crumb cake with Rhubarb, only ice cream and it was delicious. This looks so good and the recipe sounds easy. I’m saving this to try sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing.

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:19 am

Rhubarb ice cream? Hmmmm…haven’t had that before. Sounds delicious with cream, though! So nice to hear from you again, Vicki. :)

Paula — April 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I am still not a big fan of rhubarb and this is the second post this week I’ve seen with these bars. I have to tell you what I told the other blogger and friend, that paired with the strawberries I’m sure I could learn to love it. Beautiful looking dessert Brenda.

• Brenda replied on April 19th, 2012 at 11:21 am

If you’re especially not thrilled about rhubarb in the first place, a good place to start is pairing it with strawberries. I like it with strawberries or without, but the berries add sweetness and prettiness.

what katie's baking — April 19, 2012 at 8:44 pm

we had something similar to this at school today… but yours looks SO MUCH BETTER!! i want this noowww

Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} — April 20, 2012 at 5:20 am

Yum! I love rhubarb! It’s been such a long time since I’ve had any. My mom used to grow it in the garden, but we’ve moved far south, and now I’m not even sure it grows here. You have me pining for it though. . . . I know I’ve seen packs of it at the grocery store. I’ll have to check! Thanks for bringing back a “retro” recipe from your pile – I have the same situation going on in my kitchen drawer!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — April 20, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hi Brenda,

I just saw your crumb bars on Tasty Kitchen and had to pop over to tell you how beautiful they are! I’ve never met a crumb bar I didn’t love, and I could easily go for one right now with my morning coffee :).

Just started peeking around your blog and it looks lovely so I can’t wait to dive in!

Abby — April 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

Just gorgeous! Strawberry Rhubarb is one of my favorite desserts. I love that you made this into a coffee cake – must try!

meatballs & milkshakes — April 25, 2012 at 8:44 am

These look so delicious! It’s certainly time for strawberry and rhurbarb anything!

Shiloh — May 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Made it! Can wait to eat it now.

John Terry — May 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Absolutely amazing… never though that rhubarb could be that sweet! I have learnt a new thing now and is not willing to stop soon. Thanks:)

Mark D.French — May 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Excellent! I want to bake a brownies like this ,its so yummy!

Kim — September 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’ve never cooked with rhubard before, but my stepfather has a ton in his garden during the spring. I’ll have to steal some and make these. Thanks for the recipe!

Liz — May 31, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thank you Brenda for all the great rhubarb recipes. Have a wonderful weekend!

mom with the kids — May 1, 2014 at 8:50 am

This is a beautiful recipe and your pictures are stunning and clear. The Strawberries are a good food to take fat off the belly. We used your recipe in our diet group and it was a winner. The strawberries are the secret.

• Brenda replied on May 2nd, 2014 at 9:29 am

I’m so glad to hear you liked this, thanks for coming back to let me know!

Judy — May 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Made these tonight–they are so yummy!! Thanks for the great recipe!

Margie — May 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Brenda,
    These look amazing, but what if I want to make a large sheet pan or jelly pan full of these bars? Should I just double the recipe and bake it a little longer?

• Brenda replied on June 1st, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hi Margie – I have not played around with different sizes of pans for this recipe, so I can’t say for sure. But I would think that should work fine. Please let me know if you try it.

1. Pingback: Worthwhile reads from the web this week « Eat and Sip in the City

2. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Left behind linkity

3. Pingback: Celebrate Spring with Simply Cranberry {giveaway}

4. Pingback: zlukrem's soup

5. Pingback: 29 Ways To Eat Strawberries And Rhubarb In Blissful Harmony | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

6. Pingback: Rhubarb Strawberry Crumb Bars | Berrylicious Treats & Eats

7. Pingback: 至福の調和でイチゴとダイオウを食べる29の方法 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行

8. Pingback: 至福の調和でイチゴとダイオウを食べる29の方法 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行

9. Pingback: 至福の調和でイチゴとダイオウを食べる29の方法 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行

10. Pingback: 至福の調和でイチゴとダイオウを食べる29の方法 | 美味しい食事レシピ・最新メニュー

11. Pingback: 至福の調和でイチゴとダイオウを食べる29の方法 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行

12. Pingback: 至福の調和でイチゴとダイオウを食べる29の方法 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行

13. Pingback: Pipe Dream #285: To Be Honest – Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake | piping dreams

14. Pingback: Saftig rabarber/jordbærkage med cheesecakefyld og crumble | Cake Living

15. Pingback: 至福の調和でイチゴとダイオウを食べる29の方法 | 美味しい食事レシピ・最新メニュー