Homemade Marshmallow Chicks

Peep, Peep!

You know how much I love making (and eating!) homemade marshmallows. So would you be surprised to learn that I don’t like those famous marshmallow Peeps? I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a whole one, not even as a kid. I tried really hard to like them when I was young, I really did. But I always ended up trading them off for somebody else’s Easter basket confections. Probably for some chocolate marshmallow bunnies. Much more my style.

Easter – 1974

Can you see the yellow Peeps in my basket?!

So, in an attempt to make up for lost time…I’ve come up with a way that guarantees my own indulging in some yellow chicks this spring. Homemade Marshmallow Chicks. Aren’t they adorable?! I dipped them in white chocolate, tinted a springy yellow. Then, per Tessa’s request for some feathers, I sprinkled them with a bit of yellow sugar. Adding some little blue eyes and glossy orange feet, we birthed a whole flock of sweet little chicks.

Now these are my kind of Peeps!

Homemade Marshmallow Chicks

for the marshmallows:
  • powdered sugar, for coating pan
  • 2/3 c. water, divided
  • 3 (1/4 oz.) envelopes unflavored gelatin (found by the Jell-O at the grocery store)
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 c. light corn syrup
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • for the white chocolate coating and decoration:
  • 6 oz. good quality white chocolate (You could also use candy melts, which is a little sturdier, but not as tasty.)
  • yellow candy coloring (not icing coloring)
  • yellow tinted sugar
  • small round blue nonpareils
  • for the glaze icing for the chick's feet and beak:
  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 T. milk
  • 1/2 T. light corn syrup
  • orange icing coloring

for the marshmallows:

Lightly spray the inside of an 9'' x 13'' pan with cooking spray. Generously coat with powdered sugar and set aside.

Pour 1/3 cup of the water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and stir briefly to incorporate. Let stand for about 10 minutes, or until the gelatin has softened.

In a saucepan, off the heat, combine the remaining 1/3 cup of water and the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Place the pan over medium-high heat. Clip a candy thermometer on the inside of the pan, making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom. Cook the mixture without stirring until it reaches 240°. Brush down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush, dipped in water, to gently wipe away any sugar crystals.

With your mixer on low speed, very carefully add the hot syrup to the softened gelatin. Add the vanilla and increase the speed to medium-high. The mixture will start out clear, but quickly turns very white. Beat for about 8 minutes, or until the marshmallow gets very thick and sticky, and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, in string-like pieces. This will really give your mixer a workout.

Spread the mixture into the prepared pan using a lightly oiled spatula. With wet hands, press the batter evenly into the corners of the pan. Just keep rewetting your hands to help with the stickiness. Set aside for at least 1 hour, or until the mixture is firm and cool.

Run a wet knife around the edge of the cooled pan to loosen the marshmallow. Remove the marshmallow from the pan, onto a sheet of parchment paper.

Dip your small chick-shaped cookie cutter (mine measures 1" wide by 1-1/2" tall) into a shallow bowl of water and then cut the slab of marshmallow into chick shapes. This is a sticky job, but just have patience. It’s worth it! It helps to dip the chick cutter into the water in between cuts. Repeat this process until the whole slab of marshmallow is cut.

for the white chocolate coating and decoration:

Using the microwave, carefully melt the white chocolate in a glass, taking special care to not let the white chocolate get too hot. It's best to partially melt the white chocolate and then just stir it until completely melted, then color with candy coloring to your liking.

Drop a marshmallow chick into the colored white chocolate and dunk with a fork to completely coat. Pick the marshmallow up with the fork, allowing excess white chocolate to drip off while lightly tapping the fork to coax more of the excess off. Then slide the fork out of the glass, scraping the underside of the tongs along the rim of the glass. This will scrape off any remaining excess white chocolate, so you don’t have a pool of it form around your chick as it cools.

Set the white chocolate coated chick on parchment paper. Then, while the coating is still wet, place a blue nonpareil for the eye and sprinkle a bit of yellow sugar on the body, staying away from the chick's feet. Let the chicks cool and completely set up on your kitchen counter. It may help to let them sit in the refrigerator for awhile.

for the glaze icing for the chick's feet and beak:

Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl and add the milk and corn syrup. Stir until well incorporated. Then color with orange icing coloring to your liking. If the icing is too stiff, add just a little more milk. If it's too thin, add a bit of powdered sugar. Pour colored glaze icing into a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe on a little orange beak and a line across the chick's feet. This glaze is easy to manipulate and "stretch", using a toothpick, if needed. Let dry completely.

Store in a single layer in an airtight container. The white chocolate will have a softer set than if using candy melts.

Marshmallow recipe adapted from jam it, pickle it, cure it by Karen Solomon (I love, love, LOVE this book!). Glaze icing adapted from i am baker. I used this chick cookie cutter. Marshmallow Chicks concept from a farmgirl's dabbles.

If you liked these chicks, be sure to also check out my Chocolate Marshmallow Bunnies!

I’m linking up with:

103 Responses to “Homemade Marshmallow Chicks”

Dina — March 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm

too cute!

Melissa — March 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

These are gorgeous! I am a new follower for sure!!!! Love!!!!

cluttercafe — March 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Love these. So cute. I’ve made your bunnies and LOVE them!

Donna @ What the Dog Ate — March 19, 2012 at 11:15 pm

So cute!

Carolyn Neeley — March 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Have you tried these with Banana Flavoring? The yellow just reminded me of bananas…but I do think I’ll try them at Easter.

Ariana — March 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm

OMG!! they are so nice and really look delicious!!

Carrie's Creations — March 21, 2012 at 11:22 am

These are so stinkin cute!! Now I wish I had a tiny chick cutter!

Tamara @jemofthsouth — March 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

These are too adorable! I love making homemade marshmallows too. They taste so much better than store bought. :-)

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Thank you, Tamara! :)

Ariana Cervantes — March 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hello Beautiful i’ve tried doing the marshmallow recipe, and i thought i got it…..but after leaving it to set and cool i noticed it started bleeding :S. yeah tiny drops i thought is was the syrup :S i dont know what i did wrong….

does it ever happened to you? i follow step by step the recipe.

Let me know :( thank you!

• Brenda replied on March 25th, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hello Ariana! I have made this recipe MANY times and have never seen them sweat. All I can think is…do you live where it’s very humid?

• Ariana Cervantes replied on March 26th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Well… kind off i mean is not coast but not a dry weather either… i was wondering…. even though i used the exact measure you put on the recipe, the syrup i used was very liquid, so probably that also helped the sweating .
        What i noticed also is that i cant leave them out the refrigerator .. or they still sweating again… lol. hope the next time i try them, can have them better! :D

Cindy — March 29, 2012 at 4:31 am

How can someone eat that – they are too cute!

• Brenda replied on March 31st, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Thank you, Cindy. And I have no problem eating them. They’re soft and puffy and delicious! ;)

Greg — April 7, 2012 at 8:19 am

Brenda, Your chicks look great but I LOVE marshmallow peeps! Maybe you need a lesson on how to eat them. I like to set them out for a day or two so that they get a nice hard crust on them. Then when you chew them they make extra noise like you’re chewing on a nice piece of styrofoam. You have to push them to one side of your mouth and chew them loudly with your mouth partly open. It also helps to squint your eyes or make a funny face while doing it. Always do this in front of an audience. You should have an enhanced Peep eating experience if you follow my advice. Peeps DO NOT make good s’mores. Never, ever try this!

• Brenda replied on April 9th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

The great thing is, I can hear your voice and see your facial expressions as I read this. You def got me to laugh out loud on this one! :) Hope you guys had a great Easter!!

Jackie @ La Casa de Sweets — April 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Brenda, you already know how much I love just about everything you do, but this is my favorite so far! My daughter and I both thank you :)

• Brenda replied on April 9th, 2012 at 9:06 pm

It was really, really fun to see them made by someone else! Thank YOU, you made my day!!

Patricia — March 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm

A-dor-able!!! Love how these look & I’m sure they taste great, too!

1. Pingback: 18 Ideas for Spring | Spring Crafts | Spring Food | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Sweet Tooth Favorites, Easter Edition

3. Pingback: 10 Creative Spring Craft Projects

4. Pingback: Mingle Monday Highlights {March 19} | Add a Pinch

5. Pingback: Spécial Pâques « leslouloutries

6. Pingback: Friday’s Food for Thought – Mar. 16 | Green Your Plate

7. Pingback: Friday Food Finds – Easter Dessert Recipes for Your Holiday Weekend

8. Pingback: Homemade Marshmallow Peeps | lemonsugs WordPress