I learned very quickly, a couple years ago, that when I order lettuce wraps at an Asian restaurant, I better be prepared to share with our youngest daughter. Where that little body stuffed all those lettuce wraps, I have no idea, but there wasn’t enough left on my plate to even call it a small appetizer size portion. My still hungry stomach had me ordering more!
So when I asked Tessa if she’d like to help me make Asian Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps for lunch at home recently, she quickly got her cutting board (in yellow, her favorite color) and a butter knife, pushed up her stool, and asked what she could do. Together we chopped and poured, measured and stirred, until we declared it good. Then we sat down to a lettuce wraps feast, bursting with fresh flavors, colors, and textures.
This is just the most perfect light yet satisfying meal. And it’s a great way to get your family eating more fresh veggies, because nobody can resist the fun in creating and eating their own lettuce wraps.
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 T. peanut oil
- 2 T. honey
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 c. cooked chicken, shredded into bite-size pieces (Use a deli chicken for a quicker meal!)
- 1 c. very thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced red pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 T. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 heads large-leaf lettuce of your choice, leaves separated
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds
Combine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut oil, honey, ginger, garlic, mustard, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Toss together the chicken, carrot, red pepper, green onions, and cilantro. Drizzle with the dressing and toss lightly to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Spoon chicken salad into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with your favorite peanut dipping sauce, if desired.
a farmgirl's dabbles
A few more lettuce wraps for you!
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps – from Robyn at Add a Pinch
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps – from Lori at Recipe Girl
- P.F. Chang’s Lettuce Wraps Remade – from Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps with Capers and Tomatoes – from Kalyn at Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Thai Ground Pork Salad – from a farmgirl’s dabbles