Chocolate Dipped Valentine Marshmallow Pops

Here I am with another Valentine’s Day treat using homemade marshmallows. I’m just a teensy bit obsessed with the chewy white fluff, if you haven’t figured that out by now!

While I was cutting out the hearts used in the Homemade Marshmallow Conversation Hearts, a memory hit me. It was the image of our oldest daughter at the State Fair, eating chocolate dipped marshmallows on a stick. It’s an annual tradition for her that started many years ago, compliments of a confectionary that caught her eye, located under the Grandstand. Our trip to the fair each year is not complete until we see Hatti’s smile happily laced with chocolate.

These Chocolate Dipped Valentine Marshmallow Pops are just the sweetest treat. They are so fun to gift, wrapped in a small clear bag and tied with a pretty ribbon. And they would make great party favors, too. I think they even take a few years off a person when you bite into them. At least that’s what it felt like for me. There’s just something about eating candy on a stick that makes you feel like a kid again.

Chocolate Dipped Valentine Marshmallow Pops

Yield: about 30 chocolate dipped marshmallow pops (2 marshmallow hearts per pop)

for the marshmallow hearts:
  • powdered sugar, for coating pan
  • 2/3 c. water, divided
  • 3 (1/4 oz.) envelopes unflavored gelatin (found by the Jell-O at the grocery store)
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 c. light corn syrup
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • for the chocolate dip:
  • 16 oz. (about 2-1/2 c.) good quality semisweet chocolate chips, finely chopped (I really like Guittard.)
  • 1 T. shortening
  • (or just use your favorite chocolate bark)

for the marshmallow hearts:

Lightly spray the inside of a 9'' x 13'' pan with cooking spray. Generously coat with powdered sugar and set aside.

Pour 1/3 cup of the water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and stir briefly to incorporate. Let stand for about 10 minutes, or until the gelatin has softened.

In a saucepan, off the heat, combine the remaining 1/3 cup of water and the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Place the pan over medium-high heat. Clip a candy thermometer on the inside of the pan, making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom. Cook the mixture without stirring until it reaches 240°. Brush down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush, dipped in water, to gently wipe away any sugar crystals.

With your mixer on low speed, very carefully add the hot syrup to the softened gelatin. Add the vanilla and increase the speed to medium-high. The mixture will start out clear, but quickly turns very white. Beat for about 8 minutes, or until the marshmallow gets very thick and sticky, and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, in string-like pieces. This will really give your mixer a workout.

Spread the mixture into the prepared pan using a lightly oiled spatula. With wet hands, press the batter evenly into the corners of the pan. Just keep rewetting your hands to help with the stickiness. Set aside for at least 1 hour, or until the mixture is firm and cool.

Run a wet knife around the edge of the cooled pan to loosen the marshmallow. Remove the marshmallow from the pan, onto a sheet of parchment paper.

Dip your small heart-shaped cookie cutter (mine measures 1-3/8" wide by 1-3/8" tall) into a shallow bowl of water and then cut the slab of marshmallow into heart shapes. This is a sticky job, but just have patience. It’s worth it! It helps to dip the heart cutter into the water in between cuts. Repeat this process until the whole slab of marshmallow is cut.

for the chocolate dip:

In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt about 14 ounces of the chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment. Be very careful to not get the chocolate too hot. When the chocolate is almost all melted, stir by hand until it is completely smooth. Then add the remaining 2 ounces of chopped chocolate and stir again until completely smooth. This will help to cool down the chocolate. Stir in the shortening until completely incorporated. This will help to thin out the chocolate a bit. Pour chocolate into medium size glass for dipping the pops into.

to assemble the marshmallow pops:

Stack 2 marshmallow hearts on top of each other and press a 6" treat pop stick down through the center, stopping just before you go all the way through the other side. Repeat with remaining marshmallow hearts until all your pops are assembled.

Dip each marshmallow pop down into the chocolate, leaving just a bit of the white marshmallow showing at the end with the stick. Lift up and gently tap excess chocolate off. Press top of heart into sprinkles of your choice, or just sprinkle the whole coating of chocolate.

Set the chocolate dipped marshmallow pops upright in a glass and allow to completely set. If you're in a hurry, pop them into the refrigerator for a bit to speed up the process.

If you want to give these as gifts, place a pop in a small cellophane treat bag and tie with a ribbon. Talk about a fun gift!!

Marshmallow recipe adapted from jam it, pickle it, cure it by Karen Solomon (one of my favorite books!)

I’m linking up with the following:

50 Responses to “Chocolate Dipped Valentine Marshmallow Pops”

Blog is the New Black — February 3, 2012 at 7:08 am

Love this! Gorgeous, Brenda!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thanks, Liz!! :)

Lindy@ItsyBitsyPaper — February 3, 2012 at 7:20 am

These are amazing! They turned out great. I hope you will link them up to my I Heart Projects Party.

Becca — February 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

Aww, these are so adorable, and such a cute idea. I’ve been wondering what to do for Valintine’s Day treats and I think I may have found what to make :)

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Thanks, Becca! :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — February 3, 2012 at 10:15 am

You make the most beautiful treats. They are lovely.

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Many, many thanks to you, Christina! :)

Zee — February 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

No doubt it is the prettiest Valentine’s treat I have seen this season!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Thank you so much, Zee! :)

Paula — February 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Oh but I love all the photographs in this post! What kid or adult wouldn’t love to have a few of these adorable looking treats!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Thank you, dear Paula! :)

Harriet — February 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm

These are very cute! This year I’ll be single on Valentines day but I’m planning on making some foodie presents for my single friends just because I think its nice to cheer your single friends up on a day like this which can be really depressing for people on their own!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I think Valentine’s Day is for everyone!! A day to let everyone dear to us know how much they are loved. Happy Valentine’s Day, Harriet!

Mariah — February 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Just found your blog, I think through the Lasagna Soup recipe. Love this little treat, yum! Also glad to see I’m not the only person who uses the phrase “artsy-fartsy” to describe things she does :) Can’t wait to see more!

Mariah — February 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Just found your blog, I think through the Lasagna Soup recipe. Love this little treat, yum! Also glad to see I’m not the only person who uses the phrase “artsy-fartsy” to describe things she does Can’t wait to see more!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

So nice to meet you, Mariah! And that phrase…comes from my mom and grandma. My husband isn’t such a fan of it. :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 4, 2012 at 3:21 am

I’ve always loved chocolate and marshmallows together and this is such a sweet presentation.

Arlee — February 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

By 240 degrees, do you mean Fahrenheit? Us Canadians just want to make sure! ;)

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yes, that’s correct, Arlee! Fahrenheit! :)

Shaina — February 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm

These are so cute, Brenda!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Thanks, Shaina! :)

Sweetsugarbelle — February 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I am working up the courage to try marshmallows! These are beautiful, Brenda!

• Brenda replied on February 4th, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Thank you! With a name like “sugarbelle”, I wouldn’t think you should be lacking courage to try marshmallows, though. :) Honestly, give it a shot. They are so FUN to make!

Apfelkern — February 5, 2012 at 6:22 am

Sounds great! It will make a perfect gift for Valentine’s Day.

• Brenda replied on February 6th, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thank you! :)

TidyMom — February 5, 2012 at 9:52 am

SO cute Brenda!!

Thanks for linking up!! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/super-bowl-party-food-2/

Have a great Sunday!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

These are so cute!

• Brenda replied on February 6th, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Thank you, Rachel!

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — February 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

I love these, so perfect for valentines day!

Blake — February 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Wonderful…

• Brenda replied on February 6th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

:) Thank you.

FestivePartyGirl — February 7, 2012 at 12:11 pm

These are the cutest things! I have never made marshmallow. Your ideas are great.

• Brenda replied on February 11th, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thank you so much! Making marshmallows is some of the most fun I have in the kitchen!! :)

Joan Hayes@chocolate and more — February 13, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I’m so glad you posted this on google +, I don’t have a clue how to use it but I did get to see your post about these! Just adorable, can’t wait to try and make some! Pinned!

• Brenda replied on February 13th, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hi Joan! I’m just starting out with google + myself…I need to request a tutorial from my husband, since he uses it more. Thank you so much for sharing my post, I appreciate it.

Lori Lovejoy — February 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

How far in advance can these be prepared? Thank you.

• Brenda replied on February 8th, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Hi Lori! You could surely make these the day before serving. Or you could make the marshmallow several days prior to serving, and then just dip them the day before or the day of. The marshmallow keeps really well, but I would try to keep the chocolate fresher.

Jen — February 13, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’m kind of obsessed with homemade marshmallows myself lately – in fact I just bought another package of gelatin mix at the grocery store this morning. It kind of ruins you for store bought marshmallows!

Trisha — April 18, 2013 at 5:49 am

I love what you guys tend to be up too. This
    sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works
    guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

Jenna — January 29, 2014 at 9:14 pm

This is so cute. I will make these fir my teachers.
    Do u think I can roll out store bought marshmallows
    Then cut out the shape

1. Pingback: Super Bowl Party Food | Snacks and Sweet Treats | TidyMom

2. Pingback: Gluten Free Valentine’s Day Recipes » Confessions of a Gluten Free Mom

3. Pingback: Mitzvah Inspire: Be My Valentine | MitzvahMarket

4. Pingback: Around the Web: Sweet Valentine TreatsSocialCafe Magazine | SocialCafe Magazine

5. Pingback: 25 Valentine Treats with Hearts | Recipes and Tutorials