Roasted Tomato Tapenade

My best-loved way to bring out the sweet intensity of tomatoes is to roast them. This method is one I only just discovered last summer. (I know…where have I been?!)

Roasted tomatoes are pure heaven. And I’m addicted.

It took awhile for our tomato plants to start producing this year, considering our crazy cold and wet spring. So we’ve only been enjoying tomatoes straight from the vine for a couple weeks here. I think September is trying to make up for April, May, and June, as the past couple weeks have been an absolute outdoor delight.

So, a bit delayed by Mother Nature, I offer you this bowl of summer yum…Roasted Tomato Tapenade. I took my go-to roasted tomatoes recipe, added some dark and delectable Kalamata olives, and revved it up a bit. Vroom! Vroom!

We savored this flavorful tapenade on crostini, accompanying grilled steaks. And atop grilled chicken breasts a couple nights later. If there had been any more left, I had imagined tossing it with pasta for a quick weeknight meal, or spreading it on a grilled sandwich. Its concentrated flavor would have made the ordinary extraordinary.

Obviously, the better the tomato, the better the flavor of the tapenade. However, there really is something magical about roasting tomatoes, and I’m confident that this dish could be successfully served in the dead of winter, too. But if you still have tomatoes basking in your garden’s warm September sunshine, I highly recommend getting on this right now. Vroom! Vroom!

Print Print Recipe

Roasted Tomato Tapenade

Yield: 2 cups

• 2 lbs. small tomatoes, cut into 1'' pieces (Romas work great, or any other smaller sweet variety)
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 T. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. chopped Kalamata olives
  • 1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh basil

Preheat oven to 450°. Cover a jelly roll pan or roasting pan with heavy duty foil for easy clean up.

Combine the cut tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and brown sugar right in your pan. Roast for about 25 minutes, or until the tomatoes slump and the juices are bubbling. Remove pan from the oven and set aside to cool a bit.

Once you can comfortably handle the tomatoes, place them on a cutting board and chop them a bit more finely. This can get a bit messy, so try to leave as much of the juice as you can in the pan – but don’t throw the juice!

Transfer tomatoes to a small bowl. Then add juice from the roasting pan, olives, hot pepper flakes, thyme, rosemary, and basil. Stir gently to fully combine. Store covered in a nonreactive container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

From a farmgirl's dabbles.

I’m linking up with the following this week:

Cheryl at TidyMom for I’m Lovin’ It (Kitchen Makeover)
Allison at Alli ‘n Son for Sweet Tooth Friday (Caramel Apple Crisp)
Rachel at A Southern Fairytale for Mouthwatering Monday (Holiday Bake Along)

32 Responses to “Roasted Tomato Tapenade”

Paula — September 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

That picture with the crostini is beautiful and I can only imagine how good this tasted on your chicken. I’m betting that the rest of your tomatoes end up in Roasted Tapenade…if only to have it with pasta next!

• farmgirl replied on September 10th, 2011 at 6:37 am

Thanks, Paula. Atop chicken was my favorite way to eat it, actually. Scrumptious! Have a great weekend!

Katie | GoodLife Eats — September 9, 2011 at 11:04 am

This looks amazing! Makes me wish we had planted tomatoes after all this year. Our garden was a little too big last year so I felt like I needed a break but now I miss all the lovely garden tomatoes. Gorgeous!

• farmgirl replied on September 10th, 2011 at 6:43 am

Thank you, Katie – so nice to hear from you. I don’t think my girls will ever let me not plant tomatoes. They love the small ones and can often be found “snacking” in the garden. But I agree, gardens are alot of work. Every fall I tell myself that next spring’s garden will be much smaller.

Shaina (Food for My Family) — September 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I love this. I’m always drooling when I walk by tapenades at the market or at the grocery store. Obviously I need to just make my own, and this looks like the perfect place to start.

• farmgirl replied on September 10th, 2011 at 6:44 am

Thanks, Shaina! Hope to see you today?!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — September 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I’m dying for some of this now. I’m going to have to get some tomatoes at the market this weekend.

Nicole Feliciano — September 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Found you from the Tidy Mom linky. Anything with tomatoes works for me–so your recipe drew me in. I just got back from Italy and did a post all about the food there. I think you’ll like it, and I’d love for you to link up this delish recipe on Momtrends’ Friday Food. Ciao!

• farmgirl replied on September 11th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Yay for TidyMom! Thanks for saying hi, hope you’re having a great weekend!

purabi naha — September 9, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Wonderful roasted tomato tapenade. I loved the recipe and this is looking delish!

• farmgirl replied on September 11th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thank you so much!

Katie — September 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

This tapenade looks incredible! I love the idea of roasting the tomatoes!

sue — September 12, 2011 at 5:10 am

That looks lovely and will be on my list of things to make at the weekend. I make a condiment from the brilliant Yotem Ottolenghi which I’ve made over and over again and it always goes down a storm. Here is the link to the original Steak sandwich with the chili and coriander jam condiment http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/21/steak-sandwich-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi It is so good, you’ll find you want to spread it over just about everything: meat, fish, pasta, jacket potato, couscous – the list is endless. This is why I’ve made sure there’ll be some left over.

France @ Beyond The Peel — September 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

That tapenade looks way better than the typical olive type we so often see and one my husband would actually like! It looks really great.

Lisa {With Style and Grace} — September 12, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I so love me some roasted tomatoes, it’s like candy! This tapenade would be perfect for holiday entertaining.

Kristen — September 13, 2011 at 7:35 am

I love tapenade’s. This photo is stunning, Brenda!

Terri @ that's some good cookin' — September 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I just found your website through Tasty Kitchen and I have looked at the whole thing from ‘cover to cover’ so to speak. I really love this blog and your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing your talents and great recipes. And by the way, is there anything more delicious than roasted tomatoes? Amazing.

• farmgirl replied on September 14th, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hello, Terri – wonderful to meet you – and thank you so much!

Aggie — September 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

this looks so delicious. My kind of food!

becky @ the Mixing Bowl Diary — September 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Honestly, this stuff is amazing. I can’t tell you how many times I have made this in the past 2 weeks. My family loves it (even my 6yr old). My friends love it. I even made it and brought it to a food swap I am part of. It was a hit. De-licious!

• farmgirl replied on September 21st, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I appreciate your taking the time to come back to let me know. Hope you’re having a great week, Becky.

jen — September 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’m Drooling.
    I can’t wait to try this one out. I’m going to try with a meatball sandwich!

Jessica — October 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Our weather has been perfect, and my tomato plants have been yielding far longer than I had expected. Last week I put together this fantastic recipe. I purposefully doubled the batch so that I would have enough to share. My girlfriend popped over to take half home to her family. This was a great way to dress up our weekend grilling, and spread a little cheer!

• farmgirl replied on October 5th, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I love to hear that you shared this with a friend. Thanks for letting me know you liked this!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — October 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Oh my goodness this just looks so delicious! Here in Tennessee we are still harvesting our tomatoes and I am so excited to make this recipe!! Thanks!!

Cindi — October 18, 2011 at 7:50 am

I love the idea of the roasted tomato, olive tapenade. I am wondering if I can can it and how long would you suggest and would it be WB or PC. Just found your luscious site. I can see it now. will need to put a napkin on the keyboard from drooling. Take care.

• farmgirl replied on October 20th, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Hello, Cindi – great to hear from you! I haven’t canned this tapenade, but have frozen recipes that are similar, and then thawed for use in soups and sauces. If you come up with a way to safely can this, I’d love to hear about it!

1. Pingback: The Mixing Bowl Diary » Swapping it: September

2. Pingback: what i’m loving wednesday

3. Pingback: Weather Induced Food Psychosis. | eatmeetswest

4. Pingback: Tapenade Recipes

5. Pingback: {pulling back the curtain} What Becky Really Eats | FROM SCRATCH CLUB