Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream & Graham Sprinkle

One day our girls decided to pull interesting looking cookbooks from the shelves, to go through them like their mom does. They flipped through each chosen book, page by yummy page, adding a colored Post-It Flag to every recipe they’d like to make some day.

When I found their bright yellow flag on the cheesecake ice cream recipe in The Perfect Scoop, right beside my own previously placed green flag, I knew this ice cream needed to be made in our kitchen.

And ever since Allison tempted me with her version last month, I’ve had cheesecake ice cream on my mind. With an abundance of fresh blueberries from our day of picking at Rush River Produce, it posed the perfect opportunity to make this Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream with Graham Cracker Sprinkle.

The cheesecake ice cream is rich, creamy, and indulgent. And the layer of blueberry sauce is intensely berry flavored. Its dark contrast makes for an oh-so-pretty ribbon running through the ice cream’s middle. But what puts this treat over the top is a sprinkling of graham cracker crust. It seemed like just the perfect thing to do! All the flavors and textures of an actual piece of cheesecake are there. In ice cream form! What fabulous summer fun!

Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream with Graham Cracker Sprinkle
(print recipe)

for the cheesecake ice cream:
8 oz. cream cheese
zest of 1 lemon (save the juice for the blueberry sauce, below)
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. half-and-half
2/3 c. sugar
pinch of salt

Cut cream cheese into small pieces and place into a blender or food processor. Add the lemon zest, sour cream, half-and-half, sugar, and salt. Puree until very smooth. No chunks!

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

To get the blueberry ribbon effect that I achieved when scooping the ice cream, spread half the cheesecake ice cream onto the bottom of a small to medium sized flat-bottomed bowl (mine had a 7″ diameter). Spread 1 cup of the blueberry sauce over the ice cream. Then gently spread the remaining ice cream over the top of the blueberry sauce. Freeze for at least 3 hours to firm up the mixture. Alternatively, you could just freeze the cheesecake ice cream on its own and then spoon the blueberry sauce over it when serving.

Yield: about 3 cups

Source: adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

for the blueberry sauce:
2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 c. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 T. cold water
1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp. raspberry liqueur (or cherry liqueur)

Heat the blueberries and sugar in a medium nonreactive pan over medium-high heat until the blueberries begin to release their juices. Mix the cornstarch with the cold water and lemon juice until the mixture is lump-free. Then stir the cornstarch mixture into the blueberries.

Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the liqueur. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. You will need just 1 cup of the chilled blueberry sauce for this ice cream recipe. Spoon the rest over some yogurt, a slice of pound cake, or a waffle!

Yield: about 1-1/2 cups

Source: adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

for the graham cracker crust sprinkle:
1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 T. unsalted butter, melted
1 T. sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.

Stir together all ingredients and then spread crumbs out in a 9″ x 13″ pan. Bake for 5 minutes and then stir. If the crumbs have started to brown, take the pan out of the oven. If not, return to the oven and check after each minute of baking time. Once the crumbs start to brown, they do so very quickly.

After scooping the ice cream into bowls or cones, top with some of the graham cracker crust sprinkle. Just like a piece of blueberry cheesecake!

Yield: 1/2 cup

I’m linking up with the following this week:

Cheryl at TidyMom for I’m Lovin’ It (Peanut Butter Pie / Jennifer Perillo)
Allison at Alli ‘n Son for Sweet Tooth Friday (Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes)
Robyn at Add a Pinch for Mingle Monday

35 Responses to “Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream & Graham Sprinkle”

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 12, 2011 at 8:09 am

These are such beautiful photos. I love the sprinkling of graham crackers on top. Perfect finishing touch for this yummy summer treat.

• farmgirl replied on August 13th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Hi Christina – so nice to hear from you again. Hope you’ve been having a great summer!

Cindy B. — August 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

This look amazing! I love that it has the graham cracker crust sprinkle too!

• farmgirl replied on August 13th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Hi Cindy – thank you! That sprinkle just finishes it off perfectly!

Kate — August 13, 2011 at 8:10 am

That top photo makes me giggle because it totally resembles a face- the blueberry eyes, then the strip of berry in the ice cream is the mouth.

I know… silly me. Then I read the post and now I want ice cream for breakfast.

• farmgirl replied on August 13th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Yes, silly Kate. I never saw it before, but can now that you mention it. :)

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker — August 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Talk about one awesome recipe! Wow! That photo of the ice cream is goddarn gorgeous, each separate part sounds like my kinda heaven :)

• farmgirl replied on August 13th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Hello Sasha – great to hear from you! This is awesome – every single person in our house was asking for more.

Paula — August 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Your photograph of the ice cream cone is art!

• farmgirl replied on August 14th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Thanks bunches, Paula! :)

josh — August 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

Oh man, that blueberry sauce sounds fantastic! I just made a batch of blueberry liqueur and it’s simple to make. I’ll have to try this recipe.

• farmgirl replied on August 14th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Ohhhhh, and it is!! Just that little bit of liqueur brightens and intensifies the sweet berries. Nice to hear from you, Josh!

myFudo — August 15, 2011 at 11:00 am

the cheesecake ice cream looks tasty. Am left craving for it. great photos.

• farmgirl replied on August 15th, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Thank you so much – great to hear from you!

Owen — August 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Hatti and Tessa are soooooooo lucky!

• farmgirl replied on August 19th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

:) If you can believe it, Owen, there’s still one good helping left. It’s yours if you come visit me!!

Janna@littlemagnoliakitchen — July 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm

This looks so good! I need an ice cream maker…putting it on my list!

• Brenda replied on July 14th, 2012 at 7:29 pm

It’s yummy! Our girls bring it up every once in awhile, asking me to make it. It was a hit around here!

Karlie — July 27, 2012 at 2:08 pm

This ice cream looks fabulous! I absolutely love The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz and I think your adaptation of his recipe looks like pure perfection. I just might have to try this out this weekend!

• Brenda replied on July 28th, 2012 at 8:01 am

I hope you like it, it’s on our list to make this week as well! :)

Debbie R — August 17, 2012 at 10:15 am

Sounds devine ! I made vanilla ice cream with huckleberry swirl but the huckleberry swirl part came out icey after it had been frozen – it did not have a smooth creamy consistancy. The second time I tried corn syurp in the huckleberry syurp but the same thing happened. Is there a way to keep the swirl part smooth without an icey consistancy ?
    Thanks

• Brenda replied on August 18th, 2012 at 10:30 am

Hi Debbie – the blueberry swirl had a touch of iciness to it, too, but I actually like it that way. I think it’s a nice contrast to the creamy cheesecake ice cream! Using fresh fruit in frozen treats tends to give that icy texture because of the water content.

Greg — June 24, 2013 at 3:26 am

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work and
    exposure! Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve included you guys to my blogroll.

delonghi espresso — August 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Excellent web site. Plenty of helpful info here.
    I am sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thanks on your effort!

Lora — August 23, 2013 at 2:12 pm

My spouse and I stumbled over here different page and thought I might as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking into your web
    page repeatedly.

Marylyn — August 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using? I’m
    going to start my own blog in the near future but
    I’m having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking
    for something unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic
    but I had to ask!

portable basketball goals — October 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to
    get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance.
    I must say you’ve done a awesome job with this. Additionally, the blog
    loads extremely fast for me on Internet explorer. Superb Blog!

Carson — October 8, 2013 at 8:35 am

It’s really very complicated in this full of activity
    life to listen news on TV, so I simply use world wide web for that purpose, and obtain the latest news.

hunter sprinkler heads — October 23, 2013 at 4:30 am

It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before ending I am reading this
    fantastic paragraph to increase my know-how.

munchkin diaper pail — October 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I am extremely impressed with your writing abilities andd also with the layout on your blog.
    Is that this a paid topic oor did you modify it yourself?
    Anyway stay up the excellent qualiry writing, it’s rare to see a great
    weblog like this one nowadays..

Rodolfo — October 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Thiis blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have fopund something which helped me.
    Thanks a lot!