Patsy’s Strawberry Pie

Have you ever tasted a freshly picked strawberry, warm from the morning sun? There is absolutely nothing like it. And if you haven’t experienced strawberry picking, I hope you unfold that Bucket List in your pocket and add this simple summer joy.

My first experience with freshly picked strawberries was from my aunt Patsy’s garden. As a kid, I marveled at the extraordinary flavor and texture of those little crimson gems. And now, as an adult, I make a point to get our girls to the local strawberry u-pick each summer.

Homegrown berries are nothing like you’ll find at the grocery store. Ruby red all the way through, with not a spot of white in the center, they are juicy and fragrant, sweet and tangy. It’s like sweet, sweet summer melting in your mouth.

This Strawberry Pie is a favorite at our house, straight out of Patsy’s recipe box. It has a pressed in shortbread cookie-like crust that my whole family adores, filled with a whippy mixture of freshly whipped cream and cream cheese that I can’t help but snitch as I’m making it. Then it’s topped off with a strawberry sauce of that sweet, sweet summer.

Ohhhhh…I do hope you enjoy this.

Patsy’s Strawberry Pie
(print recipe)

for the crust:
1-1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 c. butter, at room temperature

for the whippy cream cheese layer:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
6 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

for the strawberry topping:
3 c. sliced strawberries
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
3 drops red food coloring

Prepare the crust. Preheat oven to 325°. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until crumbly. Then quickly mix with hands until it forms a dough. Don’t worry if it seems a bit dry. Press dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie pan. Aim for a uniform thickness on all surfaces and don’t press the dough in too hard. Bake the crust for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is just lightly browned. Cool completely.

Prepare the whippy cream cheese layer. First whip your heavy cream until stiff and then set it in the refrigerator. Then, in a separate bowl, cream together the cream cheese and 1 cup powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy, about 1 or 2 minutes. Blend in the vanilla. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until thoroughly combined. This is some awesome stuff. Try to not eat it all right then and there! Then scrape the whippy cream cheese mixture into the cooled pie shell, smooth it out, and refrigerate.

Prepare the strawberry topping. Combine the sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain the strawberries, saving the juice. If necessary, add enough water to make 1/3 cup of berry liquid. Combine the cornstarch, drained strawberry juice, and red food coloring in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. If the cornstarch forms lumps, simply smoosh out the lumps with a spatula. Once thickened, immediately remove from the heat and cool completely. Then combine the thickened juice with the drained strawberries and fold gently to combine.

Now you can do one of three things to assemble your pie.
1.)  If you plan to eat the pie within a few hours, go ahead and spread the strawberry topping onto the top of the pie. Try to stay an inch away from the crust, as the juice can soak into the crust and make it soggy. Not a big deal, though, if you plan to eat the whole pie rather soon. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
2.)  A second thing you can do is just put your strawberry topping in a bowl and refrigerate it until you’re ready to eat it. When ready to enjoy, spread the strawberry topping on the pie. Then slice and serve.

3.)  Or, if you predict not finishing off the pie that first day, just completely leave the strawberries separate. Cut your pie servings without the strawberry topping spread on top (like the bare pie above). Then spoon some of the strawberry topping onto each individual piece. The pie crust will stay crisp and last much longer this way.

Yield: a 9″ pie

Source: adapted from the recipe box of my aunt, Patsy Klein

I’m linking up with the following. Please check them out!

Cheryl at TidyMom for I’m Lovin’ It (French Fries)
Allison at Alli ‘n Son for Sweet Tooth Friday (Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake)
Robyn at Add a Pinch for Mingle Monday (I Made That)
Rachel at A Southern Fairytale for Mouthwatering Monday (Homemade Blueberry Crisp)

22 Responses to “Patsy’s Strawberry Pie”

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 8, 2011 at 7:53 am

I love your recount of strawberry picking. I have yet to go and I told the husband last night that we’re going this weekend!

• farmgirl replied on July 8th, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I hope you have so much fun and dream about it until doing it again next year!! :)

Mom — July 8, 2011 at 7:54 am

This is one of my favorite desserts. And just looking at the pictures makes my mouth water!!

• farmgirl replied on July 8th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Thanks, Mom. The recipe I have (I finally found it!) is in your handwriting. xo

Kim {Recipes To Run On} — July 8, 2011 at 10:17 am

Brenda, this pie looks SO amazing. It reminds me of a pie my grandmother used to make and I can’t wait to try it. The crust is what makes it extra special. Thanks for the tip on how to save the pie if not using it all at once! Have a WONDERFUL weekend Friend!

• farmgirl replied on July 8th, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Thanks, Kim! Actually, that crust is the only part our youngest really wants to eat. :) Happy weekend to you, too!

Patsy — July 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Your pie looks much prettier that mine. Your pictures are always great!

Patsy — July 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

THAN mine.

• farmgirl replied on July 8th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I got THAT, Patsy! :) Thanks for a GREAT recipe that we always look forward to eating around here. xo

Katie — July 8, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Whipped cream, cream cheese and fresh-picked strawberries have to be a winning combination. This pie looks so tasty!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — July 10, 2011 at 5:17 am

I haven’t had a really good strawberry in such a long time! They are so much better when homegrown, like you said, sweet and red all the way through.

• farmgirl replied on July 11th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Such simple pleasures, but yet so hard to come by!!

Paula — July 10, 2011 at 6:12 am

You tell such a lovely story in your posts. Loved reading this and your Aunt Pasty’s pie recipe sounds lovely. Loving the combination of the cream cheese and whipped cream! Your pie looks beautiful and that shorbread crust is probably to die for!

• farmgirl replied on July 11th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Thanks, Paula! :)

Kate — July 10, 2011 at 8:01 am

Every time I’m faced with a lot of strawberries I think I should make something divine with them; a pie, a fool, maybe some jam or other delectable treat but what ends up happening is I stand at the counter over the bowl of fresh berries and eat them with a fork. Until I feel like I should turn pink from all that strawberry delight.

It happens (and is happening now) with fresh cherries. I almost cringe at the checkout with the price, but then remember that it’s such a bittersweet and short season that is HAS to be worth the indulgence.

• farmgirl replied on July 11th, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m with you on the cherries right now. They ARE worth the indulgence. Remember that brutal winter we finally came out of?!

1. Pingback: Layered Pumpkin Pie in a Jar

2. Pingback: Hatti’s Strawberry Chiller

3. Pingback: zlukrem's soup

4. Pingback: Super Simple Strawberry Sauce {no cook!}

5. Pingback: Creamy Strawberry Fluff with Fresh Strawberry Sauce {a no-bake dessert in jars!}

6. Pingback: Cheap Recipe Blog » 50 Cheap Easter Recipes | Cheap Easter Meal Ideas