Chocolate Cherry Fudge Bundt

I really don’t use many box mixes when baking in our kitchen. Big surprise, huh?

One exception to my love for homemade baked goods is a box of fudge brownies mix, which can be found in our pantry at all times, for brownie craving emergencies. Another is a box of devil’s food cake mix that is used in this Chocolate Cherry Fudge Bundt.

This Bundt cake is super easy to put together, a great recipe to enlist the help of young ones. It’s pure comfort food, and a favorite in our household. Around here, this cherry and chocolate chip studded goodness disappears from the counter lickety-split.

Although it’s hard to resist cutting into this cake as soon as the chocolate glaze has been poured over the top, it’s really worth waiting a few hours. The longer it sits, the denser and fudgier it gets. The chocolate chips in the cake firm up, adding chocolatey chunkiness, and the glaze thickens and takes on a chewier bite . If possible, I try to make the cake at least four to six hours before serving. And, no, the waiting is not easy!

Print Print Save Save

• 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

for the chocolate glaze:

• 1/2 c. heavy cream
  • 2 T. light corn syrup
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

*For the cherry pie filling, make sure you use a filling that has whole cherries in it. I like Wilderness brand, “Original Country Cherry”.

*I prefer Guittard chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare a 12-cup Bundt pan using butter and flour and set aside.

Pour the cake mix into a medium bowl and whisk to break up any clumps. Add the oil, eggs, and water. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Fold in the cherry pie filling and chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the cake clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto serving platter to finish cooling.

Once the cake is cooled, prepare the chocolate glaze. Place all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Cool for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the glaze is thickened, but still pourable. Stir until completely smooth and then drizzle on the cake.

When eaten right away, the cake is very tender. We prefer to wait a few hours, or even until the following day, when the cake is more dense and fudgy.

I’m linking up with:

Robyn at Add a Pinch for Mingle Monday - she just got back from the Daytona 500, that lucky girl!

54 Responses to “Chocolate Cherry Fudge Bundt”

Amanda — February 21, 2011 at 8:14 am

This looks absolutely divine girl!! I would love to try it!!

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Thanks, Amanda. And you should try it… it’s about 1/16th as complicated as your beautiful creations, though, so be prepared for some time on your hands. ;)

Melinda — February 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

What a perfect way to celebrate Washington’s birthday! I love the chocolate and cherry combination!

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Washington’s birthday! Wish I would have thought of that!! Thanks, Melinda!

Tanya — February 21, 2011 at 8:45 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe. When I was young, my mom would often make chocolate cherry brownies. They were so good, with the sweet cherry surprise! I have a feeling this recipe will bring back fond memories.

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Great to hear from you, Tanya! Hope you like this, and that all is well with you and your family.

Robyn | Add a Pinch — February 21, 2011 at 9:47 am

This looks heavenly, Brenda! I’m not a big box mix kinda gal either, but this makes me want to go buy a few! :)

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Thanks, Robyn! It’s always good to have some quick and extra good recipes in your back pocket.

Rachel — February 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

I don’t use a lot of box cake mixes either, but I do have a couple of favorite cake recipes that do call for a box mix. I have a very similar recipe but instead of a glaze you cut the cake in layers and add whip cream. Your recipe looks delish Brenda. Enjoy the snow!

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Well, you surely can’t go wrong with whipped cream!! Nice to hear from you again, Rachel.

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — February 21, 2011 at 11:28 am

oh my goodness, I just love a good bundt cake, and this one looks absolutely decadent. Love the chocolate and cherry combo.

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Thank you, Amber!

Tracy — February 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love a good bundt cake! I’ve never tried the cherry and chocolate combo before – sounds so good!

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thanks, Tracy!

Monette — February 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Oh dear! I love bundt cakes and this is looking really good!

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thank you, Monette – great to hear from you!

Paula — February 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

You can’t go wrong with chocolate and cherries and to finish it all off with this lovely looking glaze! Makes me want to go out and stock up on box cake mixes!

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thank you, Paula! xoxo

Nancy @SensitivePantry — February 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Look at that glaze! And, those cherries! This is a “go to” mouth watering cake that will knock the socks off friends and family.

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Thank you, Nancy – great to hear from you!

Kristen — February 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Box mix brownies are my favorite – yum!
    This cake has me craving chocolate!!

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Seems like we keep finding things we have in common, Kristen. Especially involving chocolate. ;)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm

That heavenly looking glaze pooling around the bottom of the cake in that first picture is so mouthwatering! I now have a serious chocolate craving.

• farmgirl replied on February 21st, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Thank you, Sylvie!

Harriet — February 22, 2011 at 6:00 am

Mmmm this looks fantastic! I’d so have trouble leaving it a few hours though, I love chocolate and I can’t just leave it alone once I’ve baked it!

The cherries look awesome in it too, they look great with the chocolate chunks!

• farmgirl replied on February 23rd, 2011 at 10:27 am

Truthfully, I have a hard time waiting, too. I usually (if not serving for company) have to have a piece as soon as I pour on the glaze! :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — February 22, 2011 at 9:51 am

Such a beautiful cake! I can’t imagine the waiting being easy at all, but well worth it. :)

• farmgirl replied on February 23rd, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hi Christina – great to hear from you!

Cookbook Queen — February 22, 2011 at 9:56 am

Chocolate and Cherry is one of my favorite flavor combos!! This looks absolutely delicious!!

• farmgirl replied on February 23rd, 2011 at 10:28 am

Thank you!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

That’s one spectacular looking cake! My hubby loves black forest cupcakes, so I’m sure he’d really love a slice of this cake.

• farmgirl replied on February 23rd, 2011 at 10:39 am

Thank you, Jen!

Julie Roberts — February 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Looks yummy. Can’t go wrong with cherries and chocolate.:)

• farmgirl replied on February 23rd, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thanks, Julie – great to hear from you again!

Wenderly — February 23, 2011 at 6:47 am

I simply love this! With a *cherry* on top!

• farmgirl replied on February 23rd, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thank you, lovely Wenderly!

Hi Brenda! This looks SO divine. And you know, there are times when it’s totally cool to bring out the box mix & this sounds like one of those times. :-) Have a great start to your weekend!!!

Danae — March 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I just was in the pantry and found a can of cherry pie filling. Can’t wait to try this cake!! And, yes, we need to do coffee or lunch.

Sheri — June 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I seen the picture and read the recipe for this cake and it sounds and looks great………is it a really firm cake???? and how moist it it?????????I’m looking for a chocolate cake with a different taste for a wedding cake but want to cover with fondant what do you think?????????sheri

• farmgirl replied on June 24th, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Hello Sheri – the cake is very moist, and probably a medium to soft kind of firmness. I’ve never worked with fondant, so I don’t know what to tell you about that, sorry! I hope you find something that works!

Realtor by day, Chef by night — July 13, 2011 at 4:47 am

We love bundt cakes, chocolate and cherries so I had to give this a try. It was a big hit! My 8 yr old daughter thought it was amazing. She wants me to make it again! Thanks for posting this one.

• farmgirl replied on July 14th, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Thanks for letting me know you tried this – it’s a pretty simple cake to make with a very special result. So nice to hear from you – thanks!

Sarah — December 25, 2011 at 10:22 am

I made the cake last night at 12 am for Christmas so I still need to frost it so hopefully it will work and found out I got the wrong box mix red velvet so we will see how it is but yours looked so great. Thought the red cherries for Christmas

• farmgirl replied on December 27th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

How was it with red velvet?! I bet it was pretty!!

andrea — February 1, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I just found this recipe on your site (loved everything I have tried already. btw!) and I had a quick ques. It seems cake mixes are getting smaller because I could only find 15.25 oz boxes, not the 18 oz. that you note in the recipe. Have you noticed this? Would you still you the same proportion of ingredients or follow the box directions for the cake portion?

• Brenda replied on February 6th, 2013 at 7:51 am

Hello Andrea – so nice to hear from you! The downsizing of products, while keeping prices up, is frustrating. I was planning to make this next week, and if I’m finding smaller boxes also, I will probably go with the same proportions for the other ingredients and see how it goes. If you try this, please let me know – thanks!

• Andrea replied on February 6th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I did make it and kept all the proportions the same Turned out perfect!! Thanks! (I have your cinnamon,almond, coconut caramel corn in the oven right now :) )

• Brenda replied on February 7th, 2013 at 8:59 am

Yay! Thanks for letting me know. And I hope you are enjoying that caramel corn, too!

Glenna Wooten — March 13, 2013 at 5:12 am

I can’t imagine the waiting being easy at all, but well worth it. I just found this recipe on your site (loved everything I have tried already.

Carol Rosso — April 25, 2014 at 10:07 am

I fell in love when I bought it a bake sale. I returning the feeling I got after the first bite. Out of this world. I am making small ones for another bake sale to share this great tasting cake:-)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate Cherry Fudge Bundt -- Topsy.com