Cappuccino Brownies

If there’s one sweet that I crave regularly, it’s brownies.  I like them rich, dense, and fudgy.  And these Cappuccino Brownies are capital I “Incredible”.

I’ve made these a number of times since they first debuted in the Bon Appetit magazine exactly one year ago.  The first time was for a dear girlfriend’s birthday lunch celebration.  Normally these girlfriends might not even finish a full piece of dessert.  But not this time.  The brownies were portioned large and every one of us had seconds (or thirds!).  They are truly irresistable.

Besides having the perfect brownie base, these beauties are adorned with a lovely white chocolate ganache, a play on the steamed-milk foam atop a cappuccino.  Lightly dusted with cinnamon, the sentiment is complete.

These cappuccino brownies are extraordinary to me, as I truly am not a white chocolate person.  I love my chocolate dark.  Really dark.  And I’m always the first to point out that white chocolate is really not chocolate at all, but a confection of sugar, cocoa butter, and milk solids.  But I love these brownies as if my life depended on them.  White chocolate and all.

Cappuccino Brownies
(print recipe)

for the brownies:
nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, diced
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1-1/2 c. sugar
3 large eggs
1 T. instant espresso powder (I just use very finely ground espresso coffee beans)
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. flour

for the white chocolate ganache:
6 oz. white chocolate, chopped  (I’ve used many different types of white chocolate, it’s all good.)
5 T. heavy whipping cream
a few shakes of ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325°. Fold a 16″ long piece of foil to an 8″x16″ strip; place in 8×8 metal baking pan, leaving overhang on 2 sides. Repeat with another sheet of foil in opposite direction, lining pan completely. Spray foil with nonstick spray.

Stir butter and chocolate in heavy large saucepan over very low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar, then eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in espresso powder, vanilla, and salt; sift flour over and stir to blend well. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake brownies until puffed and dry-looking and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter attached, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack.

For ganache, place white chocolate in medium microwave-safe bowl. Bring cream to simmer in small saucepan. Pour cream over chocolate in bowl. Let stand 30 seconds, then stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave on low power in 10-second intervals until white chocolate is melted completely. Don’t overheat. Chill until ganache is thick but still slightly pourable, about 25 minutes.

Using foil as aid, lift brownies from pan. Turn over onto sheet of parchment paper; peel of foil.

Pour ganache onto center of brownies; spread to edges (some may drip over).  Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.

Chill until ganache is set, at least 2 hours. Cut and serve.

Source: adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, July 2009

24 Responses to “Cappuccino Brownies”

Paula — July 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Beautiful and oh so fudgy! A definite addition to my favourites *must try* folder. Thanks for posting. I really would love to sample one right now with a tall glass of ice cold milk :)

Angela Johnson — July 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm

So this might be my most favorite thing Brenda has ever made!! Make them. Make them now! Make many. Share!

Mom — July 26, 2010 at 9:08 pm

These brownies were the perfect way to finish off our meal while camping last weekend. Thanks for bringing them. So-o-o good!!

JESSICA — July 27, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Very good! Very good! This is a perfect meal-ender in the heat of summer…fills the dessert and coffee cravings!

Pam aka: Bored Cook — July 28, 2010 at 12:31 am

You just described my most favorite brownie; rich, dense and fudgy. I’ve never been able to make one from scratch that has come out that way, but this one looks like it would be perfect. Not to mention chocolate AND espresso together!

I’m adding this to my list of things to try, and this may just make it right up closer to the top since I’ve had a craving for something chocolate and rich.

Thanks for sharing!

• farmgirl replied on July 28th, 2010 at 6:33 am

Hi Pam! If that’s how you like your brownies, you won’t be disappointed. I’m already thinking about variations I can use with this brownie base. :-)

• Pam aka Bored Cook replied on July 28th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I can imagine a caramel variation. And I know my kids would flip if I did a marshmallow/chocolate topping. But I’m trying them the way you made them first, since I’m a chocolate/coffee freak. :)

• farmgirl replied on July 29th, 2010 at 11:09 am

We think alike! :-)

Angela Johnson — July 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

Okay! I’m making these for a potluck this weekend! Plus some extra for me. Consider my waistline blown for the summa ; )

• farmgirl replied on July 29th, 2010 at 9:31 am

WooHoo!!

Sara — July 29, 2010 at 9:02 am

Just added the cappuccino brownie recipe to my plans for the week! They look delish! I cannot wait to try them.

• farmgirl replied on July 29th, 2010 at 9:33 am

Sara – these will more than fulfill your tasty summer eating adventures, might even cover your adventures for a few days, they’re that good!

Ann G. — July 29, 2010 at 8:48 pm

These made me SO happy! Thanks Brenda! After we tried them last winter…I made them myself and they turned out awesome! Definitely my favorite chocolate dessert. (I even had them instead of my morning coffee) I love, love, love them!

• farmgirl replied on July 29th, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I am happy to oblige in making you happy, Ann. :-)

Angela Johnson — July 29, 2010 at 9:11 pm

So I want to make more than an 8×8 pan. Do I have to use two 8×8 or do I dare double the recipe and use a 9×13? I’m guessing they won’t come out of the larger pan well…

• farmgirl replied on July 29th, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I can’t promise you anything, but I think it would be worth a try in a 9×13. You’ll probably have a slightly thicker brownie, but that’s an ok thing! I don’t see an issue with them coming out of the pan – they lift out very nicely with the tin foil. Take note of the baking time and report back, please! It would be great to have a larger size option, as they disappear all too quickly.

Angela Johnson — July 31, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Ended up borrowing an 8×8 pan. So I made one batch in a metal 8×8 with espresso and one batch in a glass 8×8 without the espresso. (some of my friends are sensitive to caffiene) Both turned out great! I may get a tummy ache from eating all the corners I cut off while making neat little squares to match your picture ; )
    The ganache and cinnamon are what makes them incredible in my opinion. I thought I wouldn’t like them without the espresso, but both were equally good. YUM! Thanks Brenda!

• farmgirl replied on July 31st, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I know very well that tummy ache you’re talking about!!

Aquaria — June 27, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I don’t know what happened to my 8X8 pan. It’s taken a hike, probably when my son moved out. So I simply used my 9″ cake round. What the heck, right? And then I used a cookie cutter to make shaped brownies. And ate the leftover pieces. Hey–I’m the cook. I get to do that!

It’s all good, folks.